Pain

Percy

When I woke up, everything was blurry. It soon came into focus and I saw a gray ceiling. I heard something on my left. I tried to turn my head, but it hurt. I heard the noise again and ignored the pain as I turned my head. I saw a girl sitting there. As it came into focus I saw that it was Artemis. She was singing a song.

"Hello?" I croaked out. Artemis jumped at the sound of my voice.

"Oh, hi Percy, are you alright?" She asked. I didn't think she could sound so worried.

"Yeah, I think so," I said. "Where's Piper, Hazel, and Grover?"

Artemis looked down, "Um, Hazel wanted me to give this to you," she handed me Franks firewood. "She said to tell you that there was fire where she was going. And Piper is there too."

"What about Grover?" I said nervously, my voice shaking.

"He-he," she started, but tears started streaming down her face. I was freaking out not wanting, yet wanting to know the answer. Artemis, held out a little pine tree.

"No!" I yelled, tears streaming freely from my eyes. "No! But he-he-he couldn't leave me, not now not ever, what about my empathy link, why am I not dead?"

"I don't kno-" she started.

"I should be dead!" I yelled, I couldn't think tears were clouding my eye sight, it felt like as my eyesight got fuzzier so did my brain. "I should have died not him, I'm the powerful one, I'm the threat!"

"Percy, calm down," Artemis said, she was crying too, but silently. She opened up her arms and I hugged her back. It felt good to have someone to cry on, after Annabeth kissed Daniel, I had no one, now I have Artemis.

"Artemis, thank you," I said, it was muffled because my head was leaning against her.

"No, Percy, thank you. You showed me that men aren't all bad, especially you," She said.
I looked up into her silver eyes and she looked into my mask. I took it off and now she saw my sea green eyes. I leaned closer into her and our lips touched, she didn't back up as I expected, but she kissed right back.

I heard banging and I backed away and quickly put on my mask. The door opened and showed a beat up looking Piper and a burned Hazel, but the worst sight was Polybotes behind them.

"Your turn," he said to me.

I looked over to Artemis and she mouthed the words be safe. I nodded and smiled to show that it would be alright. Polybotes grabbed my and my body screamed in protest. He brought me to another room that looked just like the one we were just in. He threw me against the wall and I heard a bone break and a fiery pain spread up my left arm. I looked up and saw Polybotes with a 5 inch long dagger.

"Time to get started," he said.

He grabbed my left arm between his hand and twisted it more. I screamed, the pain erupted up my arm. I took quick breaths trying to calm myself. Then he took the dagger and dragged it through my flesh. The pain was so intense I blacked out for a minute, but then he slapped me awake.

He grabbed me again and brought my back towards the other cell. On the way I looked down at my arm, he had written something on it. I could barely read it through my blurry vision, but I made out something like, Fighting is useless when you feel nothing but pain.

Polybotes threw me into the cell and as he walked away he said, "Welcome to the underworld, have a nice stay."