Chapter 13: Reunion

Chapter 13: Reunion

Helena's POV
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dad?!" my heart stopped, I hadn't seen him since I ran away 4 years ago and it wasn't exactly a happy memory.

"It's good to see you!" he said smiling. He approached me and opened his arms for a hug but I instinctively backed away from him into Andy's arms. I saw the hurt look on his face as he waited for me to tell him I was happy to see him too but I just couldn't make myself say it. After a minute he dropped his arms and his gaze fixed above my head, I wondered to myself what he was looking and then realized it was Andy. He shifted awkwardly behind me and cleared his throat.

"Hello, I'm Paul, Helena's father" he said reaching out to shake Andy's hand.

"Uh, hi... I'm Andy, her boyfriend" he replied hesitantly and returned the gesture.

"Oh nice to meet you"

"Yeah" was all he said

"Helena, I understand if you don't trust me but I'd really like to talk to you" he said looking back at me pleadingly. Meeting his eyes I noticed he looked healthy not drunk like the last time I saw him, maybe he had changed.

"Okay"

"Privately?"

"Sure" I nodded "just give me a sec"

"Alright" he said a headed toward a bench not too far away. I turned to face Andy

"Be right back"

"You trust him?" he whispered. I shrugged, I really didn't know I had so many terrible memories of him, but I also had good ones. Before the accident he was a great father, I was torn.

"I don't know, he looks better. Talking couldn't hurt I guess" he squeezed me tightly as if he didn't want to let me go

"I'm gonna keep an eye out and if he tries anything I swear I-"

"It's okay," I interrupted him and stroked his cheek. He let out a nervous sigh and I kissed him, "I love you" I stepped out of the safety of his arms and walked toward the father I thought I'd never see again. When I sat down neither of us spoke, instead we just looked at each other. I had forgotten how attractive he was, he had to be in his mid-forties now and still looked like the young man that raised me, he had very hard features that normally would make him look frightening but his soft blue eyes took away from that, I used to love looking into his eyes and was always so proud that mine so closely resembled them. In that moment I forgot all the terrible things that he'd put me through, all I saw was the man who raised me, the one who taught me to ride a bike and comforted me when I fell and skinned my knee, I saw the man who taught me to play guitar and let me stay home from school to have piano lessons. I remembered sneaking out to go to a KISS concert with him on a school night and him letting me sit on his shoulders so I could see. And when I got made fun of for wearing Starchild's makeup to school the whole following week he made me feel better. He was the person that taught me to not care what others thought of me for being different. He was my father.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to upset you" he said and I realized I had been crying.

"It's okay, I've just missed you..."

"You have?" he replied happily

"Yeah I really have"

"Even after..." those words stabbed into me like a knife, and all the nights I spent hiding under my bed terrified of him came rushing back, every hit and every awful word he said. How could I forgive him? Even if I loved him would those memories always make me hate him?