Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

"In the next eight months from now you have to pay the house rent. Annabella will be moving to a new class next term and she will need to pay school fees and buy new books. And her fee at the music school. The foods in the store won't last forever you know. And you don't have any job for now. I have to go out and look for something to do. I need to help you." She answered him.

"But you don't have to." He disagreed. "I didn't forget about all of it but I am trying my best to get something before then. I don't want you to work. You don't need any kind of tedious work. And what kind of job do you expect to find here. This place isn't like our previous home." He said angrily.

"I know. I just want to try. I can't leave all this to you." The woman said.

"I don't need you to. I will handle it." He replied her.

"It won't hurt to help out a little. If I can get a little job, it will help in carrying out some responsibility." She suggested.

"For God sake mom, you are on wheelchair!"

"And it does not mean. If not because of money and my legs, you know that I have a giod work that can help put food on the table. I was a successful woman before the accident. It's just a pity on how things turn out. But what can we do. We can't blame God. It has happened." She spoke sadly as she remembered the things of the past.

"I know. And that is in the past. I don't need you to stress over any work to help me. I will do just that. You are doing enough by taking care of my daughter. I don't know how I would have coped with you here to help me. You don't need to work with everything you are doing. I will find a job. We still have time before to pay the next house rent. The school is still in the middle of the term. I will get a job before then. A good one. So stop worrying. "

"You know I don't mind. Remember, I half sponsored your schooling on my own."

"That was then. Now I can take care of my responsibilities fully. This place is a city and is quite dangerous for you to go around looking for a job with your condition. I don't want you to work. It's my responsibilities and I will do it. So don't think of doing it again. And I am very serious mom. I don't want you going looking for a job again unless I will be furious." He warned.

She stared hard at him and nodded.

"If you say so, I have heard you. I won't go out looking for any job. I will help with whatever I can inside the house here. But I know something  good will happen soon. I assure you. Okay?"

"Okay. Thank you." He appreciated and embrace her shortly while she oat his shoulder.

******

                       Annabella ran into her father room. Nathaniel looked up from the papers in his hand as he heard the running footsteps into his room. A smile curled up his face as he saw his daughter ran to meet him. He placed the papers in his hand on the bed beside him and he opened his arms for her.

She embraced her father and he carried her on his thigh. He looked at her body. She was dressed in her sport wear - a navy blue tracksuit with the logo of her school somewhere on the left hand side of her top. She wear a white socks and canvass. He trust his mother to do a good job with her laundry.

It reminds him of those days when he and his little sister were in elementary school. Teachers always admire them for their neatness.

" Daddy Good morning. " She greeted running into his open arms.

" Oh! Look at my princess. "Nathaniel beam." How was your night princess?"

" It was okay. " She grin