Chapter 9

Raven's POV

As I jumped out the window, I felt the power of the warlocks hit me in the face like a punch. This was bad. Really bad. I wasn't sure how they managed to get here but that didn't matter. All that mattered was that I got rid of them. The ground was approaching fast and I stopped myself inches from the ground before shooting forwards in the direction of the warlocks.

As I flew towards the firestone forest I thought about what Zira had asked me to do. There was a power that only the oracle could use; pura magia. The power of pure magic. But I had never dared to tap into this deadly force. If you weren't strong enough, then the magic would take over and any spirit could control you. Including those who would destroy the world. Another danger of using pure magic was if you couldn't contain it, it would explode and could destroy the planet.

But I had no choice. The warlocks were getting stronger and stronger by the minute and if I didn't stop them, then the dragons would die not to mention the rest of the magical world. I summoned the pura magia as I flew, gasping as it flowed into my body. My body was being transformed and it hurt. A lot. My hair turned a brilliant silver as the rest of my body started to glow with the power of the universe. I grit my teeth as the magic probed and tested my limits. Forcing myself to cut off my connection to the pura magia, I cried out as the magic stretched out and was ripped apart. But I had accomplished my goal.

I was now a being of pure energy.

Drake POV

I walked away from the gardens where I had just talked with Will and Luke. I frowned as I went into my office and saw the stack of papers sitting there. Sometimes I just wish I could be a normal 17 year old kid. I sat down with a groan and started to shuffle through the papers, not really paying attention to any of them. I dropped the papers and walked over to the window, wondering how Damon was doing trying to help Raven.

I stared at the mark on my wrist and felt the tears return to my eyes as I remembered that this was all my fault. I shut my eyes tight and fought against the wave of pain that filled me as memories of what I had done that night filled my head. It was as if I was being tortured but was being comforted at the same time. Either way, I hated myself for what I had done. For what I had put Raven through even after I promised to never let anyone hurt her.

*Flashback*

"You can see her now." My mother said. The 5 of us cautiously walked into the infirmary and my eyes were instantly drawn to Raven. The blood had been washed off but she was covered in bandages. She was sitting on a white hospital bed and was wearing a lilac colored hospital gown. The pack doctor, Tom Garnet was taking notes on some tube of what appeared to be blood while his son Will was staring at some x rays with a confused look.

Raven turned to us and gave us a small nod. She was pale but looked much better than she had a couple hours before. We all walked over and sat on the chairs that were next to her bed.

"What happened to you Raven? Who was that guy?" Damon asked. Raven sighed sadly and then cleared her throat with a small cough. She grabbed the glass of water next to her, slowly drinking before putting it back down, each movement looking like it caused her pain.

"It's a long story but I was living with the old couple for a few years when the man found out who I am. He was a warlock and like all warlocks, believed that if I'm killed then the warlocks will gain all the power in the universe. He captured Janet and threatened to kill her if I wasn't handed over. David refused and so the warlock, Mentire, captured him as well knowing that I would come out of hiding if he threatened them. The only problem was that he thought I was older, like 15 years older so when I showed up asking him to let them go in exchange for me, he thought I was lying and grabbed me too, demanding that I tell him where the oracle was. No matter what I said, he didn't believe me. So he tried to torture it out of us. He had been torturing us for almost 4 days when you guys came in. And you know the rest." She said in a quiet voice, a single tear falling as she finished talking.

We all just sat there absorbing what she had said and I noticed that Tom, Will and my mom were all listening to her story. She looked down and started to play with her hair, which I just noticed went down to her knees. She looked really shy and scared and all I could think about was how much I hated the people that had hurt her. All over her body where it wasn't covered by bandages were old scars and I could tell that she had had a hard life that would have killed someone weaker. This girl was a fighter.

My mother looked as if she were about to burst into tears and Will looked sick. Tom looked disgusted and angry and I couldn't blame him. Spontaneously, I grabbed her hand that wasn't wrapped in bandages and her head shot up and she gave me a questioning look with her peculiar purple eyes.

"You are safe now Raven. No one will ever hurt you again. I promise." I stated and I meant every word of my promise. She gave me a small smile and I noticed the pride in my mother's tear stained face as she watched my vow. Raven suddenly froze and stared off into the distance.

"Raven?" I asked nervously. Will and Tom came over and looked at her closely.

"She's in a trance. We just have to wait for her to come out of it." Tom said.

*Present*

"I'm so sorry Raven." I whispered to the empty room.