Chapter 8

Drake's POV

I watched as Zira suddenly ran towards the rose bush with a panicked expression. 

"Raven! What's wrong? What's happening?" She whispered. If I looked closely, I could see a misty figure flickering in and out of focus. The mist whispered something back before it vanished all together. Everyone was staring at her and when she came back, she had a worried look on her face. She looked indecisive about something before taking a deep breath and looking at Damon.

"So will you help me?" She asked.

Damon looked at me for permission and I nodded. Then he looked at Sophia. She held her arm awkwardly and was looking at the ground. He lifted her chin and gave her a small smile.

"Go and help her. I'll be here when you come back. Just, promise me you will come back." She said softly. 

"I promise." Damon stated before giving her a gentle kiss. I looked away, feeling the sick nausea that always arose when I remembered that all of this was my fault, I couldn't even remember why I had kissed Rosalinda and then rejected Raven but at the time it had felt so right. Now all I wanted was to die but I couldn't. When i had gotten back to my room, there had been a potion glowing on my bed. I had felt the urge to drink it so I did. Something was wrong though. I still didn't know what it was but when I had drank it, something inside of me changed. All I could think about was Raven and what I  had done.

I would have killed myself right then and there but something stopped me. I felt as if Raven was there, surrounding me and telling me to live on and forget the pain. Now every time I feel the need to die, it happens again. I glanced at the watch that i wore to cover the mark that Raven had given me. No one could know we were mates. Luckily, no one had seen us at the ball together. I looked back at everyone to see that they were already making plans. I only half listened as my mind was stuck on Raven.

"We will go by portal directly to the palace where I live. The sooner we go the better. Something has happened to Raven and I fear that my brother is panicking." Zira said. Damon nodded and gave Sophia one last loving look before standing back and watching as Zira changed once again into her dragon form. He climbed onto her back and they took off, flying over the woods. We watched until they were lost to view before everyone turned back to the house.

I stayed and stared at the bush where I had seen the mist that was supposedly Raven. Walking over to it, I sat down and watched as the flowers swayed in the breeze and I closed my eyes as a single tear fell and landed on the nearest rose. The bush glowed for a moment before going back to normal. Why, why did I do it? Why did I hurt you Raven?

Luke POV

I ran back with all the things that Will had sent me for and handed them to him. He took the match and lit the feather on fire before holding it under Jermemy's nose. Nothing happened for a moment but then Jeremy sat up, gagging and coughing. Will took the bowl of water and the towel from me and dipped the towel into the water before wiping off Jeremy's forehead.

"Take a deep breath. That's it, now Jeremy, what happened? Do you know why or how silver nitrate managed to get into your blood?" Will asked. I froze and stared at him with wide eyes. Silver nitrate? That would explain why Jeremy was in pain before but how he managed to survive was a mystery. Silver nitrate injected into a werewolf was the fastest way to kill one. Usually, you had until it reached your heart, or in other words, a matter of seconds.

Jeremy looked exhausted and scared but otherwise fine. He took a few more shaky breaths before answering.

"I was walking through the woods 3 days ago when they caught me. It was the hunters but there were some weres as well. They needed a young were who hadn't shifted yet to test a serum for the weres that have joined with the hunters. It makes weres immune to the effects of silver if taken constantly. They only gave me one dose to see how long it would last before the nitrate killed me but they were attacked by some demons and I escaped. Luckily they only gave me a small dose of the nitrate but the stuff they gave me worked. And if they continue to take it for long enough, eventually, they will be immune without it." Jeremy said. I shared a worried look with Will before he turned back to Jeremy.