Chapter 13

Zira POV

I bit my lip to stop myself from yelling at the witch in my arms. She had lost a lot of blood and was obviously in pain, but that didn't mean she had to whine about it every second. Literally, she hadn't stopped talking and complaining since I had lifted her up.

"Watch it! I'm not a freaking maraca! Can't you walk any smoother? I'll be dead by the time we reach the palace and then..." I tuned her out, biting harder on my lip. Finally, I caved and asked Zylan to shift so we could ride on his back. If I had to walk the final 2 miles with her yammering on, I might just kill her myself.

"Wait, what are you doing? What -" I grabbed her tightly and climbed onto his scaly back, ignoring her cries of protest and small whimpers of pain. As soon as I sat down, he took off, his giant mouth grinning as Callie let out a screech of fear and wrapped herself around one of the spikes sticking out of his spine. He flew fast, wings flapping hard before tucking in and diving. Callie screeched again and I laughed, the exhilaration filling me with energy. It was over too soon, as Zylan gently landed on the terrace outside the infirmary. I lifted the trembling and cursing witch off of his back, and unceremoniously dumped her on the closest bed.

"Jaxion!" The ancient dragon strolled into the room, his snout scrunched up as the smell of burnt flesh filled the air.

"Yes your majesty?"

"Please do something about this whining child. For some reason, we have to keep her alive." I said in disgust. Jaxion lumbered over, his giant face scrunched in confusion. He carefully turned her onto her side so he could examine her back. Callie just moaned dramatically.

"This looks like your work my queen." He said as he examined the burns. I shrugged.

"It's quite possible. She was in the invading force of warlocks. According to Damon, she's on our side, but I wouldn't trust her if I were you."

"Point noted, your majesty." He gently turned her onto her stomach, his giant claws not used to dealing with something so small. He carefully started to apply burn salve onto her back, ignoring her cries that it hurt. Our burn salve was used to treat dragon scales, not human skin. She would just have to deal with it if she wanted our help.

"There, all done. Do not try and move for a couple of hours." Jaxion finished wrapping her back in gauze and stepped back. I motioned for two guards to watch her and they nodded, taking their posts in front of her bed. She swallowed in fear as their claws clicked on the ground and their tails swished. With a relieved sigh, I ran out the door, Zylan and Jaxion behind me. I was so going to kill Damon for this.

Damon POV

It was dark by the time we arrived back at the palace. Raven's breathing had slowed almost to the point of not being there and I was starting to panic. I was exhausted, but I ran up the stairs to the front doors of the palace and let out a long howl. The doors opened immediately and the guards behind it were already waiting with Jaxion. With a sigh of relief, I handed Raven over to the giant dragon and collapsed against the wall.

"Damon, are you ok?" I looked up at the young dragon in front of me, her red scales shimmering in the torch light.

"Yes, I'm just tired." She picked me up like I was a child and started carrying me towards the infirmary, ignoring my protests.

"You are needed here, both for Raven and for the witch." Her voice was filled with annoyance as she said the word 'witch' and I frowned. Oh Callie, what have you done?

The dragon opened the door and I would have laughed if I had had any energy left. Callie was tied to the bed, stomach down, yelling that she was going to curse everyone once she was released. The guards watching her looked unimpressed and simply started to unwrap the gauze on her back. Raven was still unconcious on the bed next to hers, her tiny frame taking up only a fraction of the dragon-sized bed.

I was laid down on the bed in between them, my eyes instantly closing. I welcomed the darkness as it swept over me, erasing all the fear and panic. The dragons would take care of everything. Finally, some rest and relaxation.

The Last PsychicOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara