• Chapter 14 •

Grey

The sound of things shattering jolted me awake. I frantically looked around, my heart pounding in fear. I could hear the voices of my foster dad yelling and helpless cries coming from my foster sibling. The two voices that stood out distinctly were those that belonged to Madeline and Alan.

I immediately flung my feet across the bed the cold floor sending a shiver down my spine. I pushed myself up and ran as fast as I could downstairs.

My heart dropped as I saw Madeline, Alan and Isabella - another one of my foster siblings (who was only six years old might I add) – whimpering in a corner of the room as my foster dad - who I forgot the name of the day I moved in - on the other side with a belt tightly wrapped around his hand.

The remnants of what I assumed was his alcohol bottle was scattered across the floor. Madeline and Alan stayed in front of Isabella protecting her. As soon as Madeline's frightened gaze met mine rage filled my body.

I ran in front of them causing the belt to hit me instead. A sharp stinging sensation came across the area which was in contact with the leather. My eyes met my foster dad's with fiery rage. But I didn't do anything. I knew if I tried to hurt him he would end up hurting them even more later.

So I stood there. Not doing anything as he charged at me. He pushed me against the wall with a loud thud causing me to let out a small whimper in pain. He pushed me to the ground and I wrapped my hands around my knees waiting for impact. The belt came in contact with my skin. Over and over and over. Tears stung the corner of my eyes as the leather whipped against my skin.

Finally, it was over. He was done. He got up and left. Everything hurt. But I got up anyway. I rushed towards the kids my face filled with worry. My eyes scanned all of them for any signs hurt. Maddie had a split lip and Alan had a bruised cheek but apart from that, they were alright. Since Maddie and Alan protected Isabelle she wasn't hurt.

"Thank you, Grey," Madeline whispered, pulling me into a hug. I flinched as her arms wrapped around me. It didn't hurt me but I wasn't going to sit there and say I wasn't shocked.

"It's okay. You helped me, too. Remember?" I said, smiling warmly at her. She grinned, her eyes sparkling with delight.

"Come on, Bella," Maddie whispered, gently. She slowly helped her up and placed her hands on Bella's shoulders as she took her to their room. Each of us who are above the age of 15 have our own rooms and the rest have to room with two other people. Sucks for them.

I walked up to my room and shut the door slowly making my way to the bathroom. I stood in front of the bathroom mirror slowing peeling my shirt off. I let out a shaking breath before assessing the damage. The areas which were hit were red and bruised had already started forming. The main problem was me and Theo were supposed to meet up today for some practice shots. I'm 100% sure Theo would sense something wrong and start questioning me, which will eventually end up with me being forced to tell him what happened.

Then he would go on a frenzy and start yelling at me for putting up with them. He already freaked out when I told him that I hadn't eaten anything but cafeteria food for a few weeks. He kept on going on and on about how a basketball player needed energy and about who careless my foster parents are. He even took it to the extent of dragging me to the cafe and force-feeding my cookies.

It was nice knowing that someone cared about me. It was definitely a first. My mom was always on edge and never really had time for me. But she was amazing. I will always love her. But I will never be able to forgive her for leaving me. All alone. With no one.

Until Theo. He was my first real friend. Unlike those other fake people. Who would probably want nothing to do with me, if I wasn't the captain of the basketball team. I don't mind really. Being "popular" was never one of my life goals. Not that I have any, either way.

The only life goal/milestone I'm waiting for is the day it's over.

Can't wait.

The sound of my phone buzzing distracted me from my thoughts. Theo had recently gifted me a new phone and it was unnecessary but he forced me to keep it. It was nothing special just a classic flip phone. But still, it was nice.

I knew immediately that it was Theo since I only gave him my number. I gently dropped my shirt, hissing as the fabric rubbed against my sore skin.

I grabbed my phone and picked it up. A small smile forming on my face as the word 'Theo' displayed on my screen.

"Hello?" I asked, running a hand through my hair.

"You're are so dead." He yelled, clearly pissed off. My gaze immediately travelled towards the clock.

"Shit," I hissed, realizing it was already 20 minutes. I guess time flies when you're being whipped with a leather belt.

That was a joke.

"I'm so sorry," I muttered, rushing to pick out something to wear. My phone was pressed up against my ear with my shoulder as I flung clothes out of my drawer desperately searching for some loose and that covers everything.

"Whatever, just be here fast. I look like a loner waiting at the restaurant." He said, impatiently. I bit my lip feeling bad for leaving him hanging. But it's not really my fault.

"Okay, I'll be there in around 10 minutes," I said, quickly pulling on a shirt and a random pair of jeans. I heard huff and soon the line went dead.

I tried to fix my tangled locks but with no success. It stayed looking like a rad nest as I made my way out of the house careful not to be noticed by anyone.

I couldn't take the car today since my foster mom had taken it so I decided to walk. Well, run.

The restaurant wasn't far at all so I knew I'd be able to at there in 5-10 minutes.

Theo has told me that Paige had managed to sort things out with Autumn. She was back to her normal self. I was glad that everything worked between the two of them. Autumn wasn't a bad person she was just sensitive. Theo told me she had shit going on in her life that made it harder for her to trust people. I understood that a bit too well.

Theo asked me to meet up because apparently he was bored sick at his house, alone. His mom started going to therapy sessions every Saturday. And Theo said that there was definitely a positive change in her.

I'm glad he's happy. He deserves to be happy. He deserves everything good in the world and so much more. After everything he's been through, he needs that light.

Before I knew I was standing in front of the little restaurant, breathless from the running. I rested my hands in my knees panting heavily trying to compose my self. Finally, when I was somewhat alright I walked inside. It was nothing to fancy. Just a small little restaurant tucked away at the corner of the street.

Not many people visit it. That's what makes me love the place. Any time I need some peace and I quiet that's where I go.

I introduced Theo to the restaurant pretty recently and he's in love with it too. I don't mind him knowing my safe space. Not really.

Because he makes me feel safe.

He makes me happy.

He's my friend.

I like my friend.

I don't like anyone.

But I like my friend.

I like Theo.

Filler alert.
Sorry.
Late update.
Hah. Sorry.
Bye.