• Chapter 13 •

Grey
~One Month Later~

"Hey, Paige," I said, waving at the golden-eyed girl. She looked a bit confused at first but then walked over to me. I understood her confusion. I've never approached her directly before. I mean, I have, but it was usually to talk to Theo.

"Hey, Grey...What's up?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowing trying to figure out what I was up to. Theo walked up behind her taking a bite out of an apple, completely disregarding me. Rude.

"Um, Nothing much. What 'bout you?" I asked, awkwardly. Don't you judge me. I'm not good in social situations. I thought we already established that. I mean isn't it obvious? I'm freaking pathetic at making any sort of conversation. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of rejection or of people leaving me. Afraid of being vulnerable. Afraid of being afraid.

"Just school, ya know?" She said, smiling. She tucked some loose hair behind her ear as she swayed back and forth, awkwardly. I did not expect this to be so difficult. I kinda did...but that's beside the point.

"Yeah, it sure sucks," I said, letting out a nervous chuckle. Can I die now? What is wrong with me?

Theo by the time finished his apple and finally acknowledged my presence.

"Hey, Grey. How are you feeling?" He asked, smiling warmly at me. I felt my self-heat up slightly remembering what happened at the cafe.

"I'm good. I was just a little lightheaded then," I said, sheepishly rubbing the back of my neck.

"Lightheaded? You nearly threw up." He said, rolling his eyes at me. Clearly not falling for my lie. I bit my lip trying to suppress the embarrassment from taking over my face. I can confidently say that I failed, miserably at doing so. Argh, what's wrong with me?

So fucking much.

"I-uh, it wasn't the food. It was just, you see-I um," I fumbled, hoping he didn't think I thought the food there was bad. He works there for goodness sake.

"It's okay, I just want to make sure you're alright," he said, chuckling lightly at my mindless fumbling. My face heated up completely as I nodded. Paige looked back and forth between us with a sly expression covering her face. I saw Theo raise an eyebrow at her but she simply shrugged.

"Anyway, did you guys hear about the school camping trip?" Paige asked, folding her arms over her chest. I usually know everything that's going to happen before they actually happen due to my impeccable (fake) friends. For the past few days, I've been spending more time with Theo, Paige and Autumn which means I haven't been spending time with the others. And I'm saying that in the happiest way possible.

"No," Both Theo and I said in unison.

"Oh, I don't have an extra flyer but you can grab one at the main office on your way out," she said, smiling. Just then Autumn ran up behind Paige and wrapped her arms around her waist. Paige let out a startled yelp and turned to look back at who it was. She let out a sigh of relief when her eyes scanned Autumn's smug face. But her expression quickly changed to a one of anger as pouts at Autumn. "You scared me!"

"Your face was so cute, tho," she cooed, pinching Paige's now flushed cheeks. Paige slapped off her hands narrowing her eyes at the taller girl. "Come on, babe,"

"Babe?" Theo asked, raising a questioning eyebrow at them. Paige flushed a painful shade of crimson before shooting Theo a sheepish smile.

"You didn't tell him?" Autumn asked, with a slightly hurt expression.

"What- no. It's just- I just," Paige stuttered before getting interrupted.

"I don't wanna hear it. If you're so embarrassed by us then maybe we shouldn't be together. We've been together for over a month for goodness sake," Autumn huffed, She was trying to put on a brave facade but I could see the tears brimming her eyes. "I know you're already out to Theo so you can't use the whole 'I was too scared' shit with me. You promised you'd tell him last week,"

"Autumn, I swear I was going to tell him. I just-"

"Just leave me alone," Autumn said, her voice wavering slightly. She walked away looking at her feet. The corridor felt like it grew quiet. Paige ran a frustrated hand through her hair, tears filling her eyes.

"Paige, I'm sorry I didn't-" Theo tried putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. She immediately shrugged it off and wiped a tear that had slipped down her cheek.

"Please, just shut up," she said, raising a hand gesturing for him to stop. She covered her mouth with her hand, a sob escaping her lips as she ran in the other directing.

"I fucked up," Theo breathed, running his hand through his hair in frustration. "What is wrong with me? I always mess up everything. Maybe it's better if I didn't exist. It feels like if I wasn't there then nobody would have any problems,"

"What nonsense are you saying?" I said, narrowing my eyes at the taller boy. "If it weren't for you I would be the same weird closed off person hiding my emotions from everyone. If it weren't for you I-I wouldn't have been happy. Theo, you helped me.
Plus, you couldn't have possibly known about Paige and Autumn,"

"But I still ruined everything," he groaned, grabbing fistfuls of his hair. "Paige was the first person who liked me. The first person who cared. And I probably just lost her forever,"

"What are you going on about?" I yelled the corridors were now completely empty so my voice bounced off the empty corridors. Everyone and already left. It was just me and Theo along with the echoes of our distressed voices. "Look, trust me when I say y'all will get over it. She just needs some time. So just give it to her. She'll be okay. Everything will be okay. Just give her some time, Theo."

Theo suddenly pulled me into a hug burying his head in my shoulder. I could hear him sniffling so I did what I think normal people would do in this situation. I gently rubbed soothing circles on his back as he cried onto my shoulder.

This chapter had no aim and this is how it turned out. Sorry.