Baisers A La Creme

Summary: Birthday!fic. Ryan wakes from a lot of noise. It penetrates his skull and crawls down his spine and shakes him awake and only when he pushes back his blanket, he realizes that it’s not noise per se, but only Brendon.

Ryan wakes from a lot of noise. It penetrates his skull and crawls down his spine and shakes him awake and only when he pushes back his blanket, he realizes that it’s not noise per se, but only Brendon.

Spence walks past his bed, looking a little disgruntled, a cup of coffee in his hand. He stops when he notices Ryan’s awake and sits down on the edge of his mattress.

“We had to sing Happy Birthday. He asked me to sing falsetto.” He stops, head turned, listening intensely. “Quick, quick, pretend you’re still asleep. Maybe you can escape later,” he continues very seriously, and Ryan tilts a brow at him. Spence opens his mouth to say something, when suddenly Brendon’s voice becomes louder.

“Is Ryan awake now?” Brendon yells and Spence winces. Ryan sits up and rubs his face. “You can no longer protect him, Spencer Smith.” Brendon comes to a stop next to Ryan’s bed. He looks mischievous and is wearing a plastic crown, and Ryan buries his face in his hands, wishing he could just turn around and go back to sleep.

“I tried, Ryan, really,” Spence says dramatically, sighing greatly. When Ryan looks up again, Spence is trotting into the kitchen, shoulders hunched as if he’s expecting someone to jump him any second (which might actually happen).

“I demand you get up, Ryan Ross,” Brendon says with a swoosh of his hand.

“No, no, you can’t make me,” Ryan retorts and reaches for his Sidekick to check the time. It’s eight-thirty and that is way too early to be doing anything, least of all celebrating Brendon’s birth. Ryan tries not to think about the fact that there are still nearly sixteen hours left of April, 12th and tugs at his blanket.

“I can,” Brendon counters decidedly, wrenches the blanket from Ryan’s hands and makes puppy eyes. “It’s my birthday, Ryan, you can’t be mean to me on my birthday.”

Ryan purses his lips and then swings his legs over the edge of the bed, feet dangling a few inches over the ground. It’s not like he can say no. Brendon’s even been surprisingly restrained about his birthday the last week – he only mentioned it four times, and one was to a reporter.

“We have coffee,” Brendon says encouragingly and pulls at Ryan’s arm. “You can have coffee and Spence bought me Lucky Charms for breakfast yesterday and you can have some of those too, and then you can sing for me.”

“Urgh,” Ryan answers and gets up. “I think I’ll get dressed first?”

“Undressed?” Brendon asks tentatively, and then flees after Spence into the kitchen when Ryan threatens to hit him over the head with his diary.

*

“I have decided,” Brendon starts during dinner. Jon cooked and it tastes delicious. Ryan wishes he could just close his ears up and not listen to Brendon, although he has to admit that it’s kind of cute.

“I want kisses from all of you for my birthday,” Brendon continues after he’s made sure he’s got everyone’s attention. Spence snorts and shakes his head, and Jon drops his fork and quickly pecks Brendon on the mouth, knocking his glasses a little askew. Brendon blinks in surprise for a moment and then says: “Okay, Jon Walker, kiss, checked.”

Jon laughs and picks his fork up again, digging it into his vegetable lasagne, and Ryan smiles and shakes his head.

“A kiss from everyone,” Brendon stresses, glancing sideways at Ryan and Spence.

*

Ryan licks his finger and puts more sugar into the cream filling. He mixes again, adds more chocolate couverture and stirs some more. Not chocolaty enough, he thinks and pours in some more of the chocolate sauce, stirring.

“Hi,” Brendon says over his shoulder. “How’s my cake doing? Enough chocolate?” He puts his hands on Ryan’s waist and his chin on Ryan’s shoulder, and continues, “Hey, hey, is there something burning?”

“No, no way,” Ryan answers and stirs the cream again. Spence enters from the living room. He scrunches his nose up and says, “Ryan, is your cake burning?”

No, it’s not, Ryan wants to answer, but Spence is already opening the oven, and yes, there’s smoke. Ryan drops his spoon and Brendon chuckles into his ear.

“Is something burning?” Jon comes running into the kitchen, a bucket of water in his hands.

“No, it’s alright,” Spence answers, pulls Ryan’s cake from the stove and drops it into the sink.

“This sucks,” Ryan says and wrestles out of Brendon’s grip. “I’m sorry.”

“We’ll eat the filling,” Brendon answers. “I always leave the cake out anyway. Hey.”

Ryan smiles and ten minutes later they’re sitting at the table, a spoon each. Ryan has given up approximately one minute ago, and put down his spoon. Brendon looks very happy, and Ryan smiles, studying his face while he eats.

“Man,” Brendon says, “this is the best. Ryan, seriously, this is awesome.” Jon hums in agreement, and Spence nods and rubs his belly.

“Hey, Brendon,” Spence says a moment later, scooping up another spoon of chocolate cream and licking it off.

“Hm,” Brendon turns to face Spence, and Spence thumbs his chin and leans in to kiss him, moving his lips, and Ryan can see a flick of pink tongue in there. Spence pulls back with a smug grin and wipes a little spot of chocolate from his lip.

“Dude,” Brendon says, eyes wide behind his glasses. Spence grins at Ryan, looking like a cat who got the cream.

*

“You haven’t kissed me yet, Ryan,” Brendon says when Ryan crawls into bed with him.

“Oh, yeah?” Ryan answers. “Haven’t you gotten enough kisses for today?”

“Hm,” Brendon makes and snuggles close. “I guess, Spence’s kiss was pretty awesome. It had chocolate, too.” He stops and looks past Ryan at the radio clock next to his bed. “It’s eleven fifty-seven.”

Ryan glares at him, and tries not to be jealous of Spence because that’d be the most stupid thing in the world. The clock ticks another minute away and leaves two minutes of Brendon’s birthday left.

“Oh, man, I’m twenty,” Brendon says suddenly and Ryan shifts so they’re lying nose to nose. Brendon is blinking at him, eyes shifting to focus on him, but Ryan knows that Brendon probably sees him a bit fuzzy around the edges. “I feel awe−” Brendon tries to continue, but Ryan closes the distance between them and kisses him softly on the mouth, licking his lower lip.

Brendon makes a surprised, yet kind of pleased noise and kisses back, buries his fingers in Ryan’s hair and pulls him closer. Ryan tentatively opens up for him, and Brendon presses forward, his nose bumping against Ryan’s.

“Yeah, okay,” he says after a moment. “Maybe better than Spence.” Ryan swats him across the head and Brendon continues, “Yeah, okay, okay. Definitely. Hey, kiss me again?” And Ryan does, softly, carefully, and whispers in between touches happy birthday, hoping it’s not past twelve yet. Brendon kisses back, tasting faintly of chocolate and toothpaste and most of all happiness.