The Theory Of Infaturation

Ryan loves his publications teacher. She’s a great writer, photographer, and person in general. Sure, she can be a bitch sometimes (all of the time), but Ryan knows that all of her tough love will make his newspaper skills better in the long run. 

But when she assigns him to write a story on the weird ass fall play/musical thing, he almost cuts a bitch.

He can’t complain to her obviously, so he takes out his misery on Spencer. 

“What the fuck,” Ryan says, poking around his lunch tray angrily. “I have to go watch this play about a plant that eats people and there’s like this evil dentist or something and then I have to write about it.” 

Spencer’s just been laughing ever since Ryan told him what the play was about oh, fifteen minutes ago. He hasn’t really been paying attention since. 

“And wait,” Spencer says, gasping. “It’s a musical too? Oh my god.” 

Ryan frowns and steals a fry from Spencer. “Yeah.”

Spencer asks, “When is it?” 

“This Friday,” Ryan scowls. He was planning on hanging out with Spencer on Friday. Well, he always hangs out with Spencer on Friday, but that’s not the point. The point is, he had plans, and now he has to go watch this stupid school musical.

Whatever.

--

“Spencer, please come with me,” Ryan pleads on Friday during lunch. Spencer just shakes his head. 

“Sorry, dude. Just because you have to waste your Friday, doesn’t mean I have to too.” 

Oh right. Ryan forgot that Spencer actually has other friends besides him. He scowls. He hates being a loser sometimes. 

--

Ryan’s almost late, and he scurries in at the last minute with his notebook and a pen tucked behind his ear. He finds a place to stand in the back because of course there’s no where to sit, and leans against the wall. 

The lights have already been dimmed, and the crowd has finally silenced down. Ryan yawns.

Three girls walk onstage and start singing. They aren’t that bad, and Ryan makes a note to interview them after the show.

Ryan starts dozing out after the first few lines, and doesn’t even notice that another song has started up until he hears the most beautiful voice ever. And okay, yeah, Ryan is definitely one for over dramatizing things, but this time he’s seriously not kidding. It’s like his ears are having an orgasm or something.

He blinks and looks onstage. He sees a boy dressed in ratty clothes, fingerless gloves and all, and he’s walking towards the front of the stage and singing his little heart out. He has dark hair that curls around his ears, and his face is just adorable as fuck.

His voice reaches octaves that Ryan didn’t even know a guy could reach, and his heart does this little fluttery jumpy thing. 

Ryan looks at the playbill he was given in the beginning and sees Poor townsman (vocals in ‘Skid Row’) - Brendon Urie, junior.

He marks down in his notebook to interview him. 

Brendon disappears after the song is over, and Ryan keeps an eye out for him throughout the show but he doesn’t show up again. He must have only had a minor part. Ryan is oddly disappointed. 

He shakes his head and leans back on the wall, trying to pay attention to the play and keep his mind off of this Brendon guy.

--