Chapter 20: Taken

It's the next day and school has finished a good few hours ago. However instead of being in the comfort of my flat I'm waiting in the park near the city's Chinatown for the infamous Casey Jones, my phone in hand and a shoe kicking a loose stone. He told me at school that he got the things I was after however he forgot them at home hence us arranging a time and place to meet. He also has to show me where exactly I need to go to get to the turtles' lair. Since you know, I've only been there once. And I was blindfolded for the whole journey.

So I glance back down at my phone, watching as the time change to five wondering for the umpteenth time where Jones is. I'm starting to get antsy, my free hand tapping against my leg in an anxious way to convey exactly what I'm feeling.

I hate lateness; I hate being late, I hate other people being late, I hate things starting late. I just hate the whole 'late' thing in general. Honestly, out of everything in my life, time is the one thing that has always given me a large amount of anxiety- justified or not. So as the minutes keep running away from me, the light getting fainter and fainter I notice myself just growing more frantic; my tapping becoming furious, my breaths picking up. I've texted Casey numerous times already about where he is and with each text has been a reply of 'I'm on my way' and 'don't worry'. But I am worrying and I am doubting that he is 'on his way' as he said.

The air is getting colder the longer I'm standing out here, and the number of people are increasing as rush hour approaches; the sidewalks now becoming full of people in business attire walking up and down, replacing the children in uniform and casual clothes that had filled them earlier. With these newly formed crowds just came with more faces for my eyes to flicker between, searching for the familiar mop of black hair encased by an intricately designed bandanna. No such look is coming to my attention and I am now becoming more acutely aware of my surroundings, the air feeling like it's biting on my skin, the noise of strangers' mundane chatter becoming increasingly louder.

Then all of the sudden it deafens, falling flat against my ears as my searching eyes land on something familiar that makes it feel like the cold is seeping deep into my skin and straight to my heart. The hair is black- strands shaping their face perfectly, their eyes are piercing- full of a unique kind of wicked and mischief.

I turn away from Karai, breaking out into a sprint as I head down the alleyway ahead of me, the goal of making distance between her and I distracting me from my anxiety. I make as many twists and turns as possible not wanting to be an easy target to track, and while I'm making these quick decisions I press the call button on my phone bringing up to my ear.

"Oh hey Sparky, I was about to call you. Where did you go?"

"Karai's chasing me." I say as I make yet another turn. "And I can't fight her off, because you know... She's kind of good at that sort of thing... And my arm is still kinda, well, screwed up."

"Oh damn, ok Casey Jones is on the way!" A few seconds of silence came from him. "Uh... Where exactly did you go..?"

"Down the alley right in front of the playground, I'll send you my location so that you can follow." I say making a quick glance over my shoulder. She hasn't caught up yet.

"Awesome, Casey Jones is officially to the rescue."

"Please just hurry up Casey." I beg. I end the call my fingers quickly working themselves to send him my location. Though I guess I'm not liked by god or any other higher power out there as I find myself colliding into a shoulder. I stumble forwards, phone flying out of my hands as I brought up a forearm up so that I land with a forward roll. The action provides doing more harm than good as I end up on my back, a yell of pain escaping from me as I felt the dull throbbing of my injured arm intensify.

Damn reflexes.

The masked face of the girl whom I've met earlier comes into view, the painted smile of it looking all the more creepy. She raises her leg about to step on my face but I roll out of the way as it collides with the asphalt. I stand up, distracted with pain as I back away from her in a maladroit fashion.

I don't understand why people keep chasing me these days, don't they have something better to do?

Slowly the girl raises her arm and points at me, "come," she speak in a low voice, but it sounds as if she's forcing it to make her identity more of a secret.

I shake my head in reply trying to get myself to focus; an unsuccessful task.

Her hand just drops down by her side, the mask's sockets boring into me. I kept on stepping away, getting further and further away and she continues to stand there. It's starting to look like I have a chance, so groggily I turned away- ready to make yet another mad dash despite the fact that I would be pushing myself. But no one seems to want me to escape capture, for quite some feet away is yet another person, this one having more of an air of mystery and eccentricity all due to the fact that his skin is an incredible pale red that seems to be luminescent in the dying light.

He's standing tall, his height towering and intimidating which makes his muscular and lean physic look all the more threatening. I can see that his eyes are the colour of a burning flame, the crimson colour glinting at me dangerously. The only thing that he wears is a pair of red pants that look more like a skirt than anything else, yet that somehow doesn't take away to his dangerous air. 

When this bald man sees that I've noticed him, he starts running at me with speed that no human should have and before I can as much move a toe away he is standing right in front of me, his hand latching onto my throat as he lifts me into the air with what I can only guess as his most minimal amount of strength. I start to kick in the air, my hands on his wrist trying to make him let go. 

"Pathetic." I hear him hiss out. "You can't even save yourself from a pair of lowly incompetent mortals." 

He drops me and I hit the ground hard, hunching over as my body becomes overcome with a fit of coughs. I can just hear him walking away from me, making me believe that the very look of me disgusts him. 

"How is it you that holds the power?" He questions, his words sounding as if they are coated with some kind of rage. I have no idea what he's talking about but it's clear that he is  in no way a fan of mine. "You, out of all of the descendants." 

I try to get back up onto my feet but a single blow to my head makes me crumple back onto the ground, yet more pain erupting from my body. I blink, trying to force myself to ignore it all so that I can escape but such a thing is proving to be easier said than done. 

"If it was up to me I would just end your line right here and now."

Slowly I look from the ground to the red man, his bare back facing me. He turns to look at me, his eyes looking like they're the embodiment of anger itself in this moment, a spear is now in his hand.

"Unfortunately it seems that you have some use." 

The next thing I know the butt of the spear is now filling my entire view, darkness quickly following it.

______________

Blood//Water by Grandson