Chapter 3: A Lesson in History

I lean against a locker, the noise of student's chatter washing over me as I shut my eyes, now regretting going to bed at three in the morning. Next to me, I can hear my two friends chatting in anything but an amicable fashion. As usual, Nina is scolding Alexis for the state of her locker. I mean I have a slight problem with it too being the neat freak I am, but I'm much too tired to give a damn about it.

"Lexi, honestly how do you expect to get better grades if your locker looks like a junkyard?"  Nina demands impatiently.

"Hey Ni, it's an expression of myself!" Lexi insists. "And society." She adds. "Yeah totally. The disorganization is a representation of the individualism we-" 

"Just find your history book already we're going to be late!" 

"It's Kay's Dad, he loves me so..." 

"I won't love you if you make us late," I say with my eyes still closed. Though now, I'm feeling slightly anxious thanks to the word, 'late.'

"Okay well, we won't really need our textbook-"

Nina interrupts, taking on a stern tone, "Lexi, we do need our textbook and I expect you to find it. The information isn't just going to go in through diffusion! The book will help you." 

"It's actually osmosis." I correct as I open my eyes, seeing Nina's stern grey eyes. She scrunches up her face, clearly thinking I'm wrong. 

"Kay I don't think you got enough sleep, it's definitely diffusion." 

"No." I insist. "Diffusion is when particles move from a high to a low concentration gradient. Osmosis is when particles move from a high to low concentration gradient through a partially permeable-" 

"Hey look I found my book!" Yells out Alexis pulling out her Maths book. "Now we can go and not talk about weird sciency things, let's go!" She then firmly grabs a hold of my wrist and starts leading us in the direction of my Dad's class. The rest of our peers walk in with us and the three of us settle in our seats as everyone else did their own thing in the remaining moments before class starts.

"Okay, but seriously tomorrow we will go through your locker and organize it," Nina says forcing Lexi to turn in her seat- her blonde ponytail streaked with black whacking me in the face. I let out a yell in surprise but she ignores me.

"I have a better idea." She offers. "You do it for me and I pay." 

"No." 

"Why not?" She whines. 

"I will help you but I'm not going to do it for you, ok? You need to be responsible for your own housekeeping Lexi." 

"Hey Lexi, I promise I will do any psychology homework for you for a week if you clean up your locker." I bargain wanting to put an end to the discussion. 

She then directs her attention to me, hazel eyes narrowing as if she doesn't trust me, "make it two." 

"One week and I will give you free Baskin Robins." Yeah, I work part-time at a Baskin Robins, part of me thinks that's the only reason why Lexi stays with me.

As soon as she hears that her eyes widen as her face lit up in joy, "okay deal!" 

I look over to Nina, her face being an unhappy one, "Nina my good friend, it is impossible for one to reason with Alexis Ivan Chance. You can only perform deals with her." 

"These deals better not be drug ones, I don't want to lose my position as your teacher because you kids are doing drugs in my class." 

Immediately everyone rushes to their seats, going quiet as my father strolls in, a kind smile on his lips but it's fake. Last night's fight with my mum definitely took its toll on him more than usual it would seem. I wonder if it would impact his teaching in any way possible...