Chapter 14: Departing Gifts

No new messages... No new messages from my mum whatsoever. And it's not like I haven't tried texting her, the next day after the earthquake I did text her that my dad and I were ok as it was covered in the news but I still have yet to receive a reply from her. I'm feeling worried as to how she hasn't responded but I'm trying to convince myself that she's just either really busy or doesn't want to think about New York whatsoever.

I turn off my phone and pocket it, looking around at my history class as we continue to wait for my Dad to arrive. I don't even know if he's in today, I left earlier than usual this morning so that I could avoid being around him. 

"You guys like my new piercings?" Alexis asks us for the millionth time today. She got two more done yesterday, both in her left eyebrow and she's been really happy about them. She has had a couple done before that, three on her left ear, two on her right and one on her belly button.

"They're pretty." I say again, making her smile widen. Nina of course gave her more negative opinion on the piercings, but her input can't bring Alexis down.

"I just don't understand why you need to put that much metal in your face." She sighs, acting like a disappointed mum more than anything else. "I mean first you get those black streaks and now you're stabbing metal into your body, are you really that unhappy with yourself?"

Lexi sticks her tongue out at her, "you're just jealous that I'm more bad ass than you'll ever be Ni."

"Why would I be jealous of you looking like an Avril Lavigne wannabe?" She counters, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Well you seem to be a bit upset over a couple of piercings." I say slowly, she just rolls her grey eyes at me her nose in the air.

"I just think that you should be happy and deal with what you have is all." She tries to justify. Alexis just let out a laugh.

"And I'm happy Ni! I'm happier than anyone in this damn classroom!"

Nina opens her mouth, about to make a retort but with the entrance of a teacher she shuts her mouth. Silence washes over the classroom as we all look at the front, every one of us probably just as confused as the other as we saw that the adult standing in front of us was not my Dad.

"Morning class, I'm here to cover Mr Smith as he is off on leave."

I feel the air leave my lungs, my heart seeming to stop.

Someone puts their hand up and the teacher nods at them.

"Do you know when he's going to be back?"

"Not for quite some time." Is the answer given.

The lesson starts but all I can do is sit there in shock, a heavy weight seems to have landed on my chest as I'm starting to find it difficult to breathe. My blood runs cold as a thought creeps into my mind. He... He didn't leave, did he? Surely it's not today that he picked to run away with his mistress or whoever she was. It can't be today. He has to be sick. No, he is sick. He can't have left today. He's probably still at home, sleeping.

You know.

Because he's sick.

Then why didn't he message me? Is the more logical part of my brain saying.

I swallow, my hands clenching in fists as I try to breathe but I can't. It feels like my heart isn't even working and my chest is starting to hurt and I feel like I'm suffocating. Why.. Why is the world so against me?

"Sir! Kayla and I need to go to the bathroom! It's a female emergency!"

The voice sounds distant to me and almost foreign too. Next thing I know the world swirls around me as a hand latches itself onto my arm, pulling me out of my seat and dragging me through the classroom and out into the hallway. I'm stumbling over my feet as I'm rushed down the hall, being dragged into the girl's bathroom.