Chapter 60: Vocal Rest

Chapter 60: Vocal Rest?

It’s only been a few hours of not talking and I’m completely sick of it.  All I could do was think and write down what I wanted to say to Louis.  It’s hard to keep a full-on conversation by writing it down on paper and passing it back and forth between the two of us.  I’m starting to feel the pain of deaf people. They have to deal with this for their entire life, so I shouldn’t be the one that’s complaining.

But now I sat here all alone while Louis said he was going to go out and get a few things for me.  I obliged, on paper, but he said it wasn’t anything big and that I shouldn’t worry and rest.  I glared back at him, silently telling him that I was completely fine and didn’t need to rest. And then he pointed out that I couldn’t talk, so he left and hasn’t been back for half an hour now.

I thought about sneaking out, (seems pretty ridiculous now that I think of it), but I really wanted to go talk to Pat again.  Even though I just saw him this morning, I wanted to go back over and take care of him.  I researched the dungue fever he has and I’ve learned that it’s treatable and can go away in a matter of weeks. So I wanted to help him get better, even though I couldn’t even talk.

Or I could simply go on a short one-mile run. Just to get out of this bloody flat that I’m so sick of sitting in.  I wanted to go out and exercise, get some fresh air, or anything other than just doing a big bunch of nothing. But I knew that if I left my flat, Louis would be worried and probably try to find me and scold me by saying “Why the hell aren’t you resting young lady?” I seriously could hear him say that to me in my head. And then I’d roll my eyes and he’d lead me back to the couch and play New Moon for the millionth time. Just for my sake, he would do that without the extra commentary.

I swallow again, feeling the lump in my throat rub against the back of my throat and fire spread through it.  I wince, as it hurt to swallow but I had the tendency to do it a lot, so I just maintained the pain as best as I could.  Eating or drinking anything was out of the question since that would probably only make it worse. Luckily I wasn’t starving or thirsty, but if Louis found out that I wasn’t drinking fluids, he’d probably make me drink something. I know you’re supposed to, but it hurt too much to swallow so I knew I wouldn’t be able to drink anything.

I hear a couple knocks at the door and instantly try to groan, but shut my mouth as I feel pain when I do that too. I stand up and walk towards the door, opening to reveal Louis in his same getup and a plastic bag in his hand.

“Hello love, I brought you some things,” He holds up the bag. I smile, letting him in my flat and shutting the door once he was inside. He sets the bag down on the couch and turns around to face me.

“How are you feeling?” He asks. I shrug, even though my throat was on fire and all I wanted was the stupid lump to go away because that made it ten times worse.

“Is your throat all that’s bothering you?” He asks. I nod, since I felt perfectly fine other than my burning and scorching throat.  We both knew that it wasn’t anything serious other than a lost voice that should hopefully return in about a week. God it was hard to think that I couldn’t talk for at least six more days.  But I knew that it had to get better before the competition.  It was sort of nice to have a break from singing. Maybe I needed this.

“Well, I got a few things for you that might help it, do you want anything right now?” I walk over to the living room, grabbing my piece of paper that’s written all over and write out a new message, then hand him the paper.

Can I have some coffee?

He frowns when he looks at the paper and then gazes his eyes up toward me. I give him a hopeful look and smile, but he just shakes his head.