Chapter 28: Moment

Chapter 28: Moment

If you knew me well enough, you would know that I rarely cry. Unless I’m really hurt or sad, I probably won’t cry.  It’s just one of the side effects of optimism.

But tonight was one of the nights where I couldn’t stop crying.  I don’t know why either, I shouldn’t be.  I’ve seen my teammates get hurt before, so why is this one making me cry so hard?

Maybe because Louis was the one who got hurt?  He looked ten times worse than my teammates ever got hurt.  Maybe it’s not just that.  Maybe I developed this really strong friendship with him that if anything hurts him or makes him sad it brings me down as well.  My heart just went out for him when he collapsed.  Or maybe it’s just watching your crush get hurt that makes the feeling ten times worse.

Thinking about that was the least of my problems.  My top priority was getting to the hospital as fast as possible without going above the speed limit.  I texted Harry before I left, signaling that I could meet them there.  I don’t even know what happened to Chloe, I guess I just kind of left her there alone.  Hopefully she went home after I left because this was one of those nights were I just didn’t feel like talking to her.  I wanted to get to Louis and talk to him.  I wanted him to wake up so I could.

It was good that the closest hospital was only three miles away.  I’m hoping that’s the one they took Louis to.  I pull into the parking lot and quickly find a spot, then hopped out and locked the door. I scurried into the hospital doors to get out of the darkness and walked into dimmed lights.

I wipe any other falling tears on my face and move a little more inside, looking around for the guys. The hallways were completely empty, along with the waiting rooms. I decide to go to the receptionist desk in front of me and ask of where he is.

“Excuse me,” I say politely, walking up closer to the lady working behind the desk.  She looks up at me with a smile.  She wasn’t any older than 30, wearing purple scrubs and had her dark brown hair pulled back into a ponytail.

“I’m looking for Louis Tomlinson,” I state. She ponders for a moment and looks back at her desk, shuffling around a few papers, then she looks back up at me.

“Oh yes, they told me you were coming.  His room is right down the hallway, three doors down and to the left,” she directs.  I thank her quickly and start walking down the hallway she instructed me to go down. 

It didn’t take me long to find his room.  I looked through the window in the door and see the rest of the guys standing around in the room.  Quietly turning the knob, I walk in, causing all of them to look up at me.

“Hey, how long have you all been here?” I greet them, trying to sound like I haven’t been crying.  It didn’t work, it only made my voice sound even worse.  

“Ten minutes or so, we just got to see him now,” Harry answers for me, looking down at Louis. “Nurse came in a little while ago and said his vitals were fine, changed the oxygen mask to the tubes and just left us with him,” I walk closer to Louis’ bed and study his features.  He looked somewhat better appearance wise, with two breathing tubes trailing from his nose and around his head instead of the oxygen mask, connecting to a machine next to his bed.

“Have they told you what was wrong with him? Why he passed out?” I ask, looking up at all of them.

“Fractured rib,” Zayn replies.  “We have no idea how much he ate or when the last time he ate was either, so the doctor supposed that caused him to dry heave and pass out,” That sounded even worse than I was thinking.  Sadly, it sounded like that’s exactly what happened.