Chapter 69: The Call

It's been exactly (not precisely) two weeks since I auditioned for the X Factor show.  It's been two weeks since I've nervously sung a classic Rascal Flatts song in front of at least three complete strangers and I haven't heard anything about it.  It's been two weeks with no phone call or e-mail, and it's driving me absolutely insane.  I would think they'd be a bit more persistent and timely on this matter.

So here I sat in my living room chair, wearing my comfiest clothes of sweatpants and an old Uni t-shirt, hugging my knees to my chest and trying to focus on the news on the telly instead of my phone lying on the coffee table a few mere inches away.  I couldn't help but glance down at it a multitude of times, just to see if it would light up with a new notification or an incoming call.  I know it'd probably be good for me to go out somewhere without my phone, but that would probably drive me even more nuts than I already am.

I have to wonder what Louis and the other members of One Direction did at this moment, waiting for their call or e-mail.  Were they like I was right now, staring at my phone? Or were their families trying to get their mind off of it for a bit before they were driven mad with hope and anticipation? If only they knew that that one simple call or e-mail would get them to where they are today.

That's what's scaring me.  If I don't get the callback, then that means I'm practically starting my life over. It would be a clean, blank slate without a thought of what I'd want to do next.  However, if I do make the audition and keep going in the show, that probably means that singing could become my life and I could even get famous for it.  Who am I kidding, I lost the card of being a normal 21 year old when Louis kicked the ball into my face.

It's almost like the whole 'deciding what my life will be' isn't the main aspect that's making me nervous.  If I do get the callback, that means I'll have to repeat my audition in front of the celebrity judges and about 20,000 other people from around the country, all packed into one convenient stadium.  Just thinking of this gives me the shivers.  How could I dream of this? The whole thought of everything is turning into a nightmare.

This is probably too much to think about all at one time.  I'm nervous as it is and sitting and staring at my phone won't do me any good. I slowly reach for my phone on the table, and hesitantly typing in a number, just in case they were to call while I was about to call someone.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I sigh, then put the phone up to my ear and waiting for them to answer.

"Hello?" They answer quickly.

"Hi Louis," I sigh.

"Hey Lola, what's going on? Everything okay?" He asks.

"Yeah um..." I trail off.

"Lola?" He questions.

"Yes?"

"Why are you up at 6 in the morning?" He asks. I glance over at my kitchen clock to realize that it was in fact, 6 o clock in the morning. I could've sworn it was much later than this. My mind must have convinced me to get up and wait for the call about the audition.  

"Umm..." I trail off again, trying to collect my thoughts.  Why did I call him at this hour?  This is probably the point where I'm losing my mind.  "Oh my gosh Louis I am so sorry," I suddenly rush out.

"What?" He yawns.

"I just called you at six o clock in the morning, I am really-"

"Lola," He chuckles. "It's okay, I'm always here to talk to, no matter what time of day," I hear sheets rustling in the background before he talks again. "What's on your mind love?"

"Well..." I start.

"Waiting for the call?" He asks, already reading my mind.

"It's been two weeks Louis!" I suddenly exclaim. "I don't know how much longer I can wait,"