Chapter 68: Wait and See

I could've sworn yesterday was a dream.  It definitely felt like it, since I got so tired so quickly and fell asleep with no problem at all.  That's a very rare occurrence for me now.  I'm either stuck awake with thoughts rolling around in my head or plagued by a nightmare, but last night was different.  Maybe it's just the presence of Louis with his arm wrapped around me that just made everything here feel so much more peaceful and safe.  I was in my own little world with him, our own little sanctity.

This time in my life was nice, because I didn't have to worry so much about the X Factor competition.  I only had to wait for the call or the e-mail revealing whether I'm going to go farther or end it all right here.  I didn't have to worry about warming up my vocal chords and practicing with Louis (although I did enjoy most of those times).

I sit up in bed, feeling the stiffness in my muscles from sleeping in my outfit from yesterday rather than much comfier clothing. I noticed that Louis wasn't sleeping soundly in bed like he usually was, so he must've left earlier in the morning.  Although I was curious to start talking things through with him, I made a mental note to try to call him.  He probably had to go do something with the band and forgot to remind me. No big deal.

I quickly slip out of bed and stumble over to my dresser, stretching in the process and reaching through my drawers for a black t-shirt and some gym shorts.  Once I am dressed, I put my hair up into a pony tail and head out of my room, already yearning for a cup of coffee.  I headed out to the kitchen and immediately started digging the ingredients out to brew myself a cup.  When I was waiting for the water to boil, I noticed a slip of paper sitting still on the table that wasn't there when I left for auditions yesterday. I walked over and picked it up, reading the careful yet scribbly message.

Lola,

Had to leave to take care of a few things. I promise I'll be back to talk to you. Love you loads!

-Louis

I'm relieved that Louis took the time to leave this for me.  I set the note back down on the table and go back to making my coffee.  I'm swirling a spoon through the dark creamy liquid when I hear a small knock on my door.  I quickly walk over and open it to reveal Chloe standing there wearing only a tank top, sweatpants, and her old pink flip flops that she likes to walk around in. She looks at me with a tired smile.

"Hey," She says. "Do you happen to be making coffee?" I nod.

"Yeah, I'm supposing you want some from the events of last night," She smiles as I let her in and close the door behind her. After I pour the remaining coffee into another mug, we situate ourselves at my small dinner table and she starts slowly moving the spoon around the mug.

"So...the excitement is over isn't it?" I start off. She nods.

"I suppose so. We're going to have to wait at least two weeks to find out if you're moving on. I'm surprised you're not stressing over it," Chloe looks at me with a sly smile. I shrug.

"No purpose in worrying about it right now,"

"I guess," She says, and we're back to silence. I sip some of the hot coffee and let it rush down my throat.

"Did you happen to hear what Louis said last night?" Chloe asks. I look up at her and hesitantly nod. She smiles.

"He really loves you, you know that?" I nod, feeling the heat rush to my cheeks.

"I don't remember much after that though,"

"Really?" She asks surprised. "Then again, I can see why. You were just so dreadfully exhausted that he carried you all the way up here,"

Right when she says that, I start to remember it. I was so dang mad at him and my tiredness took over.  My rage for him has completely dissipated now, so I'll have to apologize to him once he comes back here.

"I suppose he stayed with you for the night. Where is he anyways?" She asks. I point to the note on the table, letting her read it.

"Oh," She says when she finishes, taking the first sip of her coffee. "I would've thought he'd want to stay to talk to you," I shrug.

"That's okay, I can wait,"

Silence comes between us again. I'm able to finish my coffee in two more gulps while Chloe is barely halfway through hers. 

"Do you think-"Chloe's interrupted by a second knock on the door, no doubt that it would be Louis. She purses her lips as I get up to answer it.  And there my boyfriend stands, wearing black sweatpants and a red football sweatshirt, looking undeniably cozy.

"Hi," He says with a small smile, then letting it fade shortly after. "Wow, you look terrible,"

"Gee, thanks," I respond with a frown that is replaced by a smile. He gives me a concerned look

"No, really. There's bags under your-"

"Hey guys," Chloe quickly jumps up and appears behind me. "I'm supposing you really want to work things out so I'm just going to take my coffee and be on my way," She holds up her mug as she scoots past Louis and I and heads back over to her flat.

"Make sure you bring the mug back!" I yell across the hallway as she closes her door. I look back at Louis.

"Sorry," I mumble, moving aside so he can walk in.  I turn around and head back to the kitchen as he closes the door.

"Lola," He calls out my name softly. I turn my head to look at him.

"Are you okay?" He asks, walking towards me. I nod.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I smile, then let it falter as I remember the events of last night. "Louis I'm-"

"No, no I'm sorry," He interrupts. "I know you're working really hard for this and I had no right to deny that of you.  I didn't mean any of those ridiculous remarks I said last night. We were all in a bad mood and exhausted, and I know that's not an excuse but I'm just," He sighs. "I'm really sorry about all of that.

"Me too," I say. "I mean, yeah, some days I'd rather play football but the more I sing and practice with you the more I realize that this could be a second chance for my life.  I'm just nervous about it, that's all.  I didn't mean to make it sound like you ruined my life or anything, because you didn't it. You changed it," That puts a smile on both of our faces.

"C'mere you," He smiles and pulls me into his arms.  I laugh in his embrace and let out a relieved sigh.

"You sure you're okay? You look really tired," He says, continuing his statement from earlier. I look up at him with his arms still wrapped around me.

"It's just a bit of stress is all," I answer.

"Are you having nightmares again?" He asks. I shake my head.

"No. You?" He shakes his head.

"Nope,"

"Then we're both fine. Now what do we do?" I ask. He lets out a small sigh.

"Now we just wait and see," 

A.N: Hope you guys enjoyed another update :) My stress levels are at their peak right now, so that could either mean more or less updates. I guess you'll have to "wait and see" May the odds be ever in your favor! -CookieKrumm