34 | Flying High and Falling Low

It doesn't feel like it's been three days

It doesn't feel like it's been three days. It's like time stops in this place. Like there's no real grasp of it. It's not until on the third day when Isla came to visit that she told me it's been three days since our last conversation.

"Maybe you should go home," she'd suggested. "You look exhausted. You've been here for three days straight."

"I don't think I'm allowed at home anymore," I'd said. "I think we all made it pretty clear that I'm not welcomed back."

"I can get Micah to go buy you some clothes."

"No, it's okay, Mrs. Irvine. I couldn't ask you to do that. I can ask a friend of mine to let me raid his wardrobe."

I'd shudder a little when she'd rested a hand on my shoulder. "I have news. The doctors are going to test if he can breathe on his own without the machines. They sound optimistic."

I really do hope with all my heart that she's right. The more I watch him lay there, not moving, barely breathing, the more the anxiety starts to weigh down on me.

He has to wake up. I need him to wake up. I can't lose him.

Bobbi and Simon visit every now and then. Bobbi won't talk to me. She barely looks at me as she sits silently by Ollie's side opposite me.

I'd told them what happened. Bobbi hasn't said a word to me since. I don't blame her and I don't expect her to nor do I want her to. Simon spoke for both of them—they're accepting of the situation.

I haven't seen Frankie since the confrontation. She's avoiding me. And I'm okay with that. She's angry with me, and, in turn, I'm not too thrilled about her at the moment. I'm perfectly fine with playing Chinese whispers with her through Simon.

I sigh as I thread my fingers with Ollie's. "What am I gonna do? Dad hates me. Mom's avoiding me. Frankie won't have anything to do with me. I..." I rest my chin on our threaded fingers. "I don't know what to do. Ollie, you have to tell me what I gotta to do to make this better."

As I expected, he doesn't say a word. He doesn't blink or move his fingers.

I kiss the back of his hand. "Please, Ollie."

Nothing.

A knock at the door steals my attention. Frankie's standing in the doorway. My eyes are glued to her as she walks to the seat across from me and sits down. We're silent for what feels like hours, but no doubt it's only been a few minutes.

She looks like she hasn't slept in days. Her hair is gone. She doesn't need to hide under that purple and blue beanie for me not to notice the disappearance of her long blonde hair.

Frankie watches Ollie. She goes to take his hand, but resists. "How is he?"

"Why do you care?" I murmur, not looking at her. "Last time I checked you didn't want him to have anything to do with me."

I note the way she bites her lip. "Okay, I deserve that."

"You're damn right."

I rein back my irritation at her presence. Adding venom to my words isn't helping anyone. It's definitely not helping Ollie.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier," I say. "I just...I didn't know how to. I didn't even know how to say it myself."

"Didn't you trust me, Nick? Why didn't you trust me?"

I finally look at her. I meet her gaze unflinchingly.

"What was I supposed to do, Frankie? After Matt, I was scared the same thing was going to happen to me. Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was put our family through all that again."

I hold Ollie's hand tighter, as if just doing that, I can feel his support radiating through his palm into mine.

"But I can't do it anymore. I won't. It put too much pressure on me. On Ollie. He's lying here because of me."

I hold my sister's gaze. Her eyes are welling. She looks scared. She looks lost and confused and a whole lot of other feelings I can't describe but know all too well.

I watch her carefully. "I need you to be here for me, Frankie. I need you in my corner like I've been in yours. I can't do this on my own."

Her hesitation is so loud and blatant it's a slap in the face. She doesn't need to say a word for me to receive the message loud and clear.

"I can't," she says in a whispery tone. "I can't be a part of something that took someone I loved. I can't have anything to do with what tore our family apart the first time." She cradles her hands, picking at a scab on her thumb. "I'm sorry, Nick. I can't do it."

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. Of all the people in my family, I honestly thought my sister would be the one who'd be in my corner. Frankie has always been one of the most open-minded people I know. But obviously not open minded enough.

I blink, and my eyes dart down to Ollie's hand in mine.

They're moving. His fingers are moving. I notice his eyes moving, the whites of them appearing. His head moves like he's trying to get comfortable.

I jump to my feet. "Can I get a nurse in here! He's waking up!"

Three scrubbed up women rush into the room a minute or two later followed by a doctor. They check his vitals and his reflexes, double checking the machines at the same time.

Ollie's eyes open, fluttering with the harsh lights. I've never been happier to see those blue-green eyes.

I cup his face. "Hey, it's okay. You're gonna be okay."

I gaze up at the doorway just in time to see Frankie silently slip away. 

AUTHOR NOTE: Hey, guys! So how do you guys see Frankie now? I'm definitely intrigued to hear your thoughts!

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!