20 | Hushed Whispers and Shattered Words

FUCK, chemotherapy

FUCK, chemotherapy.

Just fuck it.

Sure, it's killing what's killing me to give me more years in the long run. It saves lives and I understand that. But I hate how it makes me feel. I'm sick of being sick. I'm tired of the side effects.

Stacey had offered to wheel me back in a chair, but I'd refused.

I can take care of myself. I don't need dependence. I'm fine on my own and I have been for the last few months.

Groggy, pale and pretty close to throwing up what little breakfast I had this morning, I shuffle down the hallway towards my room, dragging the IV pole on wheels with me.

I pass Isabella's room.

I watch her sitting on her bed with her eyes glued to her phone.

Simon's door is closed.

I trudge past other rooms, empty and occupied, some of the kids I know, others I've barely spoken to, a couple I've never even met.

I make my way to pass Bobbi's room, the door wide open, when I hear her hushed voice in deep conversation with another.

I stop behind the wall out of view as snippets of conversation drifts out to meet my hearing.

"Well?"

"...his house...huge...shower's nice."

Ollie.

I recognize his voice almost anywhere—his New York accent is not thick like you'd hear in Manhattan, but it's there enough to be distinguishable.

I lean my weight on my IV pole and hone my hearing.

"...happen...?"

"Nearly...into his bed...slept together..."

"...do with Nick now?"

My throat closes up. A coldness floods over me, chilling me to the bone. My chest tightens, and a trembling feeling takes over my hands.

Everything just seems to stop, like for just that second, the world stopped turning.

A hand on my shoulder makes me jump, and Nick towering over me amplifies those terrible feelings.

His brow creases in worry. "What are you doing?"

"N-Nothing," I stammer. I shake my head. "I'm fine. I-I'm fine. I'm just on my way back to my room."

Fear hits me like a freight train when Bobbi and Ollie appear in the doorway of the room.

I note the way Ollie's eyes light up when he sees Nick, and the way a kind of longing smile appears on Nick's face.

Ollie glances to me. "Are you okay? You don't look so good."

"Yeah, I was just leaving. I mean, I was going to my room."

I shuffle away and keep going when Nick calls after me, asking me if I wanted him to come with.

I blow him off.

I need to be alone.

I dash into my room and close the door. I stumble to the bathroom and vomit.

I sit there on the floor for what feels like hours, resting my head on my arm on the toilet seat.

How could I have been so stupid?

How did I not see it before?

It looked so obvious in just those short seconds when they saw each other.

I push myself to shaky feet and retreat to my bed. I look to one of the corkboards covered with photos on the wall nearby. I pluck off one of the pictures.

It's me, Nick and Matt.

Nick can't be like Matt.

It's not possible.

Nick isn't like that. He wouldn't. He said he wasn't.

I know he's not.

He's had girlfriends. He had Lizzie. And Lauren. And Hannah.

And he had Cassie.

I remember Cassie so well. I remember Nick bringing her home for dinner and it was the first time in a long time that my dad had smiled for longer than a few minutes. I remember hearing them down the hall at night when my parents were out, and those weren't the kind of sounds people who didn't love each other would make.

I brush my thumb over Nick in the photo.

It's not true. I know it's not.

I'm jumping to conclusions. I'm imagining things.

But I have to make sure that's all it is.

I have to.

For my parents' sake.

And for Nick's. 

AUTHOR NOTE: Hey, guys! If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider giving it a quick vote! Thanks for reading!