(Ch 14) It Started with the Unexpected

Start from the beginning

“How quick these past few weeks have flown by. We only have about three more weeks before this, Art Haven, becomes a memory.” I philosophised.

“True, it’s kind of sad isn’t it?” Raina added on a sigh.

“I do agree with you girls, but we have three weeks, let’s make the most of it and not get teary eyes before the time. I already have to deal with your parting sorrows at the end. I don’t want a pre-farewell party just yet.” Blaine chimed in, making us laugh.

“Blaine’s right. This is a day of celebration.” Raina agreed happily.

“And nerves,” I quipped, thinking about our coming presentation.

Raina laughed. “You need to relax. I’m sure Scott will agree with your description wholeheartedly.”

I worried my lower lip. “It’s not just that. I’m worried about what he’s got planned.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad.” She assured me. “It’s clear that boy is crazy about you. He wouldn’t portray you in any negative light.”

“What makes you think he’s crazy about me?” I questioned, curious to know the answer.

Both Raina and Blaine grinned. “You really don’t know.”

“Know what?”

Raina just grinned again. “Oh you’ll see later.”

“See what? Do you know something about his presentation?”

She shrugged which only annoyed me. “Maybe, maybe not. Trust me on this one, Aria. Besides, I don’t need to know what his presentation is about to know he is crazy about to.”

“She’s right.” Blaine agreed. “Anyone can see.”  

I still didn’t get what they were talking about. I mean am I going blind? Do I need glasses now?

When I still had the blank expression on my face Raina finally put me out of my misery. “Seriously, Aria, even a blind man can see that boy’s in love with you.”

I froze as a blush crept up my cheeks. “What are you talking about?”

“When you’re not looking he watches you in class. And not in a creepy stalker way.” She added when she saw the expression on my face. “I mean in a he really misses you way. The way he looks at you… it’s so tender. I could see all the regret there. It’s clear he really does regret breaking things off with you. Of course that’s all I got until he saw I’d caught him in the act and then-”

“He brought up his defences.” I finished, already knowing Scott that well.

I considered what she said. Could he really be in love with me? Yes sure, a part of me had always hoped that he would, but an even greater part knew that Scott wasn’t in the habit of giving his heart away so easily.

“Do you really think he could be in love with me?” I asked her, but she never got the chance to answer me, because one minute I’m hearing my name being called and the next I’m crushed in a hug.

“Mom, I can’t breath.” I said feeling slightly suffocated.

“Julia, please give our daughter some space. I’m sure she’s happy to see you too, Honey.” My dad’s voice of reason ran out.

My mom finally released me and I gasped for air. But the moment I took in the glistening green eyes of my mom, I jumped right back into her arms. “I missed you too, mom.”

Letting go of me, she held me at arms length, examining me from head to toe. At thirty eight, my mom was nothing but beautiful. From the pictures and stories my dad told me about their youth, it was clear my mom had been blessed with good genetics. Though there were a few age marks signifying her growth from childhood to adulthood, my mom still looked as beautiful as the dark haired, green eyed beauty she was in her early twenties when my dad first met her.