Chapter Twenty Six

Hajiya Aisha knelt down, put her hands together and pleaded; larai please don't do this to me.

Why can't I tell them the truth, are you assuring me my son will come back to me? Hajiya larai asked.

What is going on here, what truth are you talking about, is there something else I don't know? Alhaji Hamza asked randomly.

Alhaji have you sat down to think about the sudden disappearance of your children at the hospital some years ago? Hajiya larai answered his questions with questions.

I wonder why she looked familiar to me, now I remember she was the nurse on duty that day. "He thought to himself".

He coughed a little bit before replying. Larai I have no idea of what you are talking about although the sudden disappearance of my children still weigh me down. I don't even know if they are alive or not.

Your children are alive as well as your wife. Am sorry to say this but we both had this planned all along. She said and paused before she continued: when Aisha confessed her feelings for you to me, I promised to make her dreams come true.

I took her to a native doctor who helped us made it possible. He assured us that you can only be hers when your children are with her, so that was why we stole the twins.

The shocking news that you moved to somewhere else came to us as a surprise. We did not see you around again for many years, so we decided to visit the native doctor again.

Your wife have to be removed from the picture, he said to us and we agreed. That was how he made her mad and left her family with the intention of not coming back ever again.

She waited to see the effect of what she had just said on Alhaji Hamza that was already sweating. The children stood there dumbfounded.

The love and affection you have for your children attracted you to Aisha. Everything was moving perfectly until we came across Hafsat at the hospital. "Aisha continued".

At the mention of Hafsat, he raised his head to look at her holding onto the tears in his eyes not wanting it to drop in the presence of his children.

"Am sorry daddy" he heard Maryam's voice saying. I know I shouldn't have hidden the truth from you all this while but mummy insisted I do so.

Actually I met mummy at the hospital but I promised her not to inform you about it. She wanted to find her missing children first and also the truth about them being your children. "She added looking at Marwan and Farida".

Alhaji Hamza just stared at his daughter thinking about all that she must have gone through which was too big for her to bear alone without a mother to steer through.

Maryam sat down on the floor and went down memory lane in her quiet moment. She thought of the love and happiness that was in her family before the disappearance of her mother.

They never lacked anything. She was the happiness she beheld in her arms everyday of her life that she wakes up. Tears began to flow freely and she wept bitterly.

Aisha you are a devil everyone should seek protection from. Alhaji said angrily.

How would you feel if you were separated from your children just after their birth, how can you involve yourself in such an inhuman act? He asked her also in anger.

Am sorry dear, it was the devil's work. She replied shivering.

Ohh please keep the devil out of this. I never knew you could be this heartless. "Marwan shouted at her".

Stop it Marwan, don't speak to her in such manner. Alhaji Hamza cautioned him.

They were interrupted by a knock on the door.

Marwan opened the door and saw Doctor Christ standing by the door. 'Good day doctor' he said to him.

"Is Alhaji in"? The doctor asked.

"Yes come in", he said and showed him the way. The doctor was surprised to see them in that situation.

What's happening here? He asked curiously.

It's nothing, you are welcome. Alhaji Hamza said and they shook hands.

Accept my condolence, he said while sitting down. May her soul rest in peace. "He added and they all murmured Amin".

Hajiya your health should be your main priority. Why have you not been coming for the medical checkup like I suggested? He asked referring to Hajiya Aisha.