Chapter Six

"Please big sis, you know I love you". She said again from the bathroom.

I love you too but I just want the best for you. Farida said.

Then why can't I.....it's okay dear, remember you are in the bathroom so keep quiet.
Don't worry i will arrange the bed for you.
"Farida shut her up". 

She quickly arranged the bed and went downstairs.

Maryam, where are you? She asked. 

Am in the kitchen ma. Maryam replied. 

Please don't call me ma, you can call me big sis. You are just like Azeema to me. Farida said putting up a bright smile.

"Thanks big sis". Maryam said and they both smiled.

"So what are you preparing for the guests? The party is starting by 2pm, so there is still time. Let's prepare breakfast first". Farida said.

Actually the caterer has taken care of everything, she just left. "Maryam said while doing the dishes".

Then what are you still doing in the kitchen. She asked her again.

I was just keeping everything in order. You know she messed up the kitchen. Maryam said.

"Maryam", Farida called out. 

"Yes big sis". She replied still smiling. 

"I so much admire your personality, you are so hardworking and simple".

I know Azeema has been very mean to you but please forgive her on my behalf. I would like to know more about you, if you don't mind. "Farida said to her".

There is nothing much about me, am just a nobody. 'Maryam uttered'

Don't say that, everyone has a story to tell.
"Farida said". 

You are right big sis! but my life has been shattered, it is now meaningless. "Maryam sadly said".

So what about your parent, are they still alive? Farida asked her as her curiosity arose. 

My father is still alive but my mother has been missing since when I was 10 years old.

My father is a businessman and my mother a nurse. My mum had twins before me, boy and girl. But they were separated from her. "Maryam explained".

How? Farida asked in shock.

They were kidnapped at the hospital. "She innocently replied.

What? How could anyone do that. 'Farida asked surprised'.

My dad had filed a case against the hospital but it was dismissed.

My parents relocated to kano and moved on with their lives. 2 years later, mum gave birth to me.

**************
They were very happy. They both watched me grow gradually. Dad made sure I never lacked anything. "She wipes away her tears and continued".

We were living happily until dad started keeping late nights or won't even come back home for somedays. Mum was very worried, so she decided to approach him about the issue.      

I overheard them quarrelling that night. Dad was like, if mum continued to interfere in his personal life then he would divorce her.

Mum started overlooking all that and continued praying for her husband.  

Some days later, dad apologised to mum and everything was normal again until something happened that made happiness bid us farewell.