29. Congratulations

Start from the beginning

"What?" She blushed. "You know what to say all the time. I'on need a therapist, all I need is you." I smiled at her. "Cute but I can't help you with everything." She told me. "Yeah you can. As long as you by me then that's all the help I need." I was dead serious. I've never had a woman care about my mental the way Sarai' does.

She was everything a nigga needed and more.

"I'm proud of you though baby. It took you some time but you did it. And if you don't like it, you can always stop. But, you need to do something about your demons." She preached and I listened. She always checked me about being defensive so I was gon' at least try to listen to this therapist. I needed some type of escape, that's why I stayed high all the time.

Being under the influence kept my mind off the wrong shit even though it made me think a lot. I didn't focus on nothing, just the feeling of being high. Back then it was terrible though cus' I was off the lean. I haven't done that shit in mad years though, thank God.

I often wondered if Rai' knew about the percs what would she think of me? Sometimes I felt like she saw things that I didn't see in myself and that's what made me love her even more. "Babe?" She called. "Huh?" I snapped outta my thoughts. "You zoned out again. You've been doing that a lot..." She hesitated to say.

I knew that already though.

"Yeah...I know. I'm listening though." I told her. "Your parents aren't coming tonight, right? I'm not ready to meet them yet." I laughed at her confession. She told me that her moms told her to bring me to dinner for Thanksgiving. I told her my parents been itching to meet her but she been ducking them out. So, we just agreed to meet each other's parents for the holidays.

I found it funny that Rai' was nervous about meeting my people. I had already met her Pops and she saw how that went. She didn't know about our other conversation though, so I was keeping that on the hush. I'on think her mother knew about our encounter either so we both had to play fake at dinner.

"Nah bae, they gotta function. My sister popping out though." I told her. "I don't mind your sister, she's not your parents." I chuckled. "Moms and Pops like the coolest people on earth though." I told her.  "Yeah...everyone says that about their parents until you meet them." She claimed. "I'm telling you, you gon' fall in love with them. They already love you and they haven't even met you yet." I confessed.

"Really?!" She chirped with a blush. "Yeah...I talk about you all the time. You won them over already." I chuckled. "I feel better already." She cheesed. "Ya Pops ain't feeling me too much though." I teased. "My father is petty, that's all.  He's really a softie, just hard on the outside." She tried to cover for him.

"Nah, he gangsta forreal." I laughed. "My mother is excited to meet you though! She was upset I didn't tell her sooner." I wasn't too surprised to hear that. Just like me, Rai' wanted to make sure we were serious before spreading the word.

I didn't blame her.

"It's all good bae. But lemme hit you back, I just got called." I blew her a kiss. She blew me one back before we hung up. "Hi Jabri, I'm Mrs. Teylor." The darkskin woman greeted me with a shake before we entered the room. "How you doing?" I responded. "I'm great, thanks for asking. How are you?" She returned, gesturing for me to sit. I took in her office before taking a seat in the single lounge chair across from her.

"I'm cool." I lied. "You look tense." She side eyed me. "A lil bit." I admitted. "First session, right?" I nodded in response. "It's natural. Everyone is usually nervous their first time but it gets easier. How about we start with you telling me why you're here?" She suggested. Pursing my lips together, I took a minute to gather my thoughts.