Never felt so alive

"Is he dead?" Jessica whispered, poking Michael's cheek as he laid unconscious on the couch.

"He's always dead." Henry furrowed his eyebrows, crossing his arms as he looked at the man with concern.

They were in Jeremy's house; Ekim had called Henry after Michael had passed out, and he was brought there by car since it was the nearest of all their houses.

For long minutes, Mike didn't give any sign of life- he barely did everyday.

"Mr. Schmidt! Wake up!" Samuel pouted, grabbing his numb hand and shaking it in hope for a response.

"Samuel, leave him be, will you?" Suzanne left the kitchen, holding a ray with a cup of cold water and a sponge along with a rag on it "So, Henry, what did you need this for?"

"Thanks, Suzanne. I believe I know the cause of his sickness..." He said, diving the sponge in the fresh water and laying it on the boy's forehead carefully.

"What is it then?" The woman asked,watched what he was doing.

"You see... Ekim told me they were inside the cafe, and then he felt sick after mistaking a man for his father. After that, Ekim brought him outside and he passed put. I'm pretty sure the remnant was messing with him... The sudden change of temperature from very warm inside the building to cold outside made him faint. He just needs to cool down a bit..." Henry explained, pushing the sponge away and diving it bacm in the water, then putting it back on his forehead.

"Oh, oh! Can I do that?" Jessica smiled brightly, reaching for the sponge. The man handed it to her gently, letting the girl be the nurse. He smiled softly "Use the rag to dry his head when you're done..."

"I'll do that!" Samuel smiled brightly.

Suzanne heard Henry's sad voice, tilting her head with a worried look. "...Cup of coffee?" She offered. The man didn't refuse, nodding and following her to the kitchen.

"You seem rather sad" She said as Henry sat and she started the coffee machine, then grabbed two cups and tea spoons.

"How can't I be? No matter how hard I try, he always ends up getting hurt. I'm not good enough to protect him." He laid his head on his palm "I just feel so bad for him"

"Henry, don't say that. You're much better than any of us. We let him behind in the first place, while you had your reasons to be mad at his father..."

"Still, I really want to do something for him. He's been acting awfully weird and- well, I hope he doesn't do anything stupid."

"What do you mean with that?" She asked and leant on the counter.

"Run away, take all the guilt on himself? Start to think he's truly like his father? I'm surprised he even lasted this long. The remnant is supposed to make him act like an animatronic, and yet after all these years he still remembers who he is, unlike the children..."

From the living room Michael listened to their conversation as Jessica laid the sponge on his forehead and Samuel dried the water on his skin. He was awake, but kept his eyes closed: they seemed to have such fun playing the doctor and the nurse that he didn't really want to interrupt it.

Suzanne poured the coffee into the cups and sat down, taking a sip with Henry.

"Do you really think any of those things might happen?"

"No, of course not. But we can't ignore the fact it is a possibility. We just need to be careful, he's not like us. If he had to get hurt in some situations, it would be lethal for him."

Suzanne nodded.

Mike sighed softly and slowly opened his eyes only to see Jessica sitting on his chest and Samuel sitting on the arm of the couch behind his head.

"You're awake!" The girl squealed,hugging his neck tightly.

"Oh my-- ehehe, hey Jess...Hi Sam" He said, patting the girl's back and looking up to the boy. When they heard his voice, Henry and Suzanne quickly interrupted the talk. The man stood, rushing to the living room.

"Mike! You're fine,thank god"

"It was nothing" The boy calmly said as he looked up.

"I wouldn't say it was nothing! It's not supposed to happen."

"I'm fine now, I just felt bad for a moment, that's all" He smiled slightly, sitting back "Are you doubting the doctor skills of these two?" He chuckled,ruffling the kid's head.

The man just stared for long moments but eventually he sighed, knowing there was no way to reason with him and that he was too stubborn anyway. "I'm just glad you're okay... Should I bring you home?"

"What? Of course not, I wanted to go out for a walk actually. I need some fresh air"

Suzanne and Henry looked at each other with hesitation, but Samuel quickly interrupted them. "Mom! Can I go with him? I want to go to dad's shop!" He exclaimed with excitement.

Michael smiled and just like the boy, he looked at Suzanne for approve.

"Fine, but be careful."

"Are you sure you're not tired?" Henry quickly asked to Michael, but the boy stubbornly shook his head "I'm fine. Actually, it's so warm in here that if I keep staying inside I'll faint again!" He said jokingly and stood.

"Whatever you say..."

"I'll see you later! Bye~" Mike gently took Samuel's hand in his and walked to the door. As they left, Jessica rushed to her room to play with Bonnet. She and her brother had agreed not to fight over Michael anymore, with the help of their parents, so that he wouldn't feel bad. She admitted she had already spent a lot of time with him.

"Thanks for everything, Suzanne. I'll head back home and wait for him" Henry forced a smile among his worries, grabbing his jacket and wearing it as the woman led him to the door "Don't mention it! Call me if something happens."

"I will, see you soon" He then left. Some meters away, on the opposite road, he could still see Michael and Samuel walking towards Jeremy's shop. Once they disappeared behind the corner, he decided to get in his car and drive home to work on his machines.