Jessica's birthday (Part 2)

"Go away!" Jessica's voice squealed inside the room.

"...Jessy? It's me, Michael. Can I come in?" He said,leaning against the door. The room seemed to go silent for a few seconds, then an answer "I-It's not locked..." She mumbled.

With a fond smile, Michael entered the room. Jessica was on her bed hugging a pillow close to her chest, rubbing her eyes and sniffing quietly.

"Hey... Why are you crying?" He asked sweetly and sat on the bed.

"I-...I-" She tightened the grip on the pillow "I hate him! I hate him so much!"

"Don't say that..."

"I-I do! I don't want to see him anymore!"

Mike watched her for a moment before taking the pillow and carefully lowering it from her face,then put it aside and watched Jessica cry,but she turned away.

He rolled his thumbs and started looking around the bedroom, searching for a topic. His eyes laid on some draws "Oh! Did you make those?" He asked, standing and walking over to the wall, watching the draws as if he was a critique. "Ah,yes... The shade of these particular colours together is a pleasure for the eye!"

Jessica looked up and sniffed, confused by that sudden reaction and tilting her head.

"I really like the way you draw flowers!" He paused and gasped "Oh! Joy looks adorable! Is that me?"

As he kept commenting, the girl couldn't help but giggle. But she remembered she was supposed to be angry,and so she went back to frown stubbornly. Michael looked behind his shoulders and went quiet again, going back to look for a new topic. There was a small electric piano laying on the desk in a corner of the room, right in front of the window. Mike decided to made his way to it by walking slowly, his arms crossed as he looked at the cartoonish posters and pictures on the wall. Then, he let one arm drop and swing to the piano, his fingers caressing the keys until he stopped and glared towards Jessica. He pressed a key, a note echoing through the cheerful room before slowly fading. It was enough to make Jessica lift her head "huh?"

Michael proceeded with another note.

"Y-You know how to play the piano...?"

"Not really, just some things... Far memories from lessons my father forced to do. I'll be honest, I liked it more when my mom taught me to play the guitar" He chuckled,looking back down to the keys and moving his fingers delicately from one to another, a familiar tune filling the room.

The girl gasped "Hey! I've heard that before! It was from one of dad's toys he brought from that old pizzeria!" She giggled.

"Ah, so my memory is not that bad..." He said with a quiet laugh "I used to hear that melody a lot. It wasn't always a good sign..."

"What else do you know?"

"Hm...Oh,right!" A playful song filled the room.

"That's 'My Grandfather's Clock'! We learnt that in kindergarten! And it was from one of dad's music box" She laughed softly.

"Wow, you sure know a lot huh? What about this one?"

He started playing another tune, this time it was more calm and delicate, it almost sounded like a doggerel.

"I don't know that one..."

"I'm sure you don't... It was from a place everyone luckily forgot about pretty fast. I was a technician there but, uh, didn't last long. But I remember my mother sang it to me" He admitted with a nostalgic smile.

"...I like it!" She exclaimed in a try to cheer him up.

"I'm glad you do."

"Did you ever make a song of your own??"