Chapter 7 | step 1

The timing of getting L those light sensitivity glasses couldn't have been better. They arrived today and today was also the day of entrance exams, where he'd watch light and try and get into the same university in order to keep an eye on him. Last week, he'd informed the taskforce of his suspicion and they weren't too happy, but ended up agreeing to let L watch him and put cameras in the household to clear the Yagami name.

Both you and L knew that Light was definitely guilty, but you both didn't say much, just in case.

The exams are held in a massive hall on campus. The university is very diverse and caters to all types of monsters. There's an underwater part for the water based monsters and some sky buildings for the sky monsters. The exams for land monsters are held in the man land lecture hall. There's a section at the back that's covered in plastic sheets for monsters who drip or leave behind footprints. Aka, L.

According to L, when he went to enrol in the university the staff were very surprised to see a night crawler, especially during the day. Apparently they hadn't taught a night crawler there for years, but they have him the clear to take the test and shoot his shot to get in.

The day before the exams, you gave him the glasses. Which went something like this:

"You know you really didn't ha-"

"I don't wanna hear it, you deserve them. Plus I want to see your reaction to colour..." you replied.

"I'm guessing that's why you told me to put them on at sunset? So I can see the sky?" He asked.

"Yep, to you sunsets look like merky water... so I thought now was a good time for you too see how pretty they can be. Seems like s good day to do it to, the sunset looks great"

You handed him the glasses and he took them from you, careful not to accidentally get his ectoplasm on the lenses. You watched as he put the glasses on, and moved his parasol down so he could see the view. He took a second to get used to the new vision of seeing in the light, but as soon as he saw the sunset from his spot on the balcony, it was like he'd magically fallen into a whole new world. He just starred at it for a moment, unable to even find the words. This was what normal sight was like, and it was so bright and vivid and colourful he wished he could have normal sight more than ever.

The sky was a mix of purples and oranges, much brighter than what he usually saw, and the direct sunlight didn't irritate him for once in his life.

You giggled at his state of awe and he turned to face you. But this time... he could see you in full colour.

Your (h/c) hair wasn't as dark and had a shine in it, your eyes looked so much brighter, your clothes looked different and you seemed to be glowing more than usual. You always looked amazing, but something about seeing you in full colour was so... breathtaking

"W-Wow..." he stammered.

"Liking the colour?" You asked.

"You're so lucky... you get to see this every day..."

"All day, every day. And now you can too"

"Thanks... for all this" he said, his cheeks going red behind his black tear stains.

"It's nothing, I just wanted to make you smile"

He felt his heart skip a beat, that was strange to him. Why on earth did he get all flustered around you?

The next morning, he went down to the university carrying an umbrella and copping the new glasses, the world looked so much different. Every time he saw a new colour, he seemed to smile a little, knowing it was all thanks to you. Each time he shook the thought away, telling himself to focus on the task at hand. Watching Light.

When the exam started, he was placed in the back row, told it was ok if his test papers got a little stained as long as the answers were still visible. He finished the test in a matter of minutes but as everyone else, he had to wait until the test was over to leave. The demon was placed a few rows in front of him, his horns making him a considerable amount taller than the rest of the crowd.

Light turned around, with the feeling someone was watching him and the two made eye contact. The demon could see the detectives all black tear filled eyes behind the tint in the glasses, staring blankly and soulessly at him. The demons first thoughts where 'woah, what's a night crawler doing out during the day?' But as they kept that starring contest of suspicious looks going, it shifted.

He wanted to know who the hell this ghostly night crawler was... and why he was starring so suspiciously at him? But the demon, being Kira, had a feeling that this night crawler...

This night crawler knew.