Painful Knowledge, and Recalling an Important Mission

Hoshimi’s POV:

Seeing Nat come off the phone with a surprised and distraught expression, I looked over to the girl blinking a few times. “Huh? Onee-chan, what’s wrong?” I ask concerned, my light eyebrows furrowing together.

“Hoshimi… Sit on your bed really quick.” The brunette girl commanded, slipping the phone into a little pocket of her loose kimono, and so I nodded, obeying with a soft and quivering frown. The girl never used my full name. I looked to my toes that were still blackening towards my ankle, my eyes narrowing slightly.

“What’s up, Onee-chan?” I ask after a pregnant moment of silence, the girl letting a soft breath escape her lips as she reluctantly mumbled something under her breath. “Eh? Onee-chan, I can’t hear you at all…” I say sheepishly, and look to her as she gnaws on her bottom lip.

“It’s your family… I have news for you.” Nat’s face contorted into an upside down smile, and I just nodded.

“Uhuh. What about them?” I wait for her to continue, my hands rocking my frame back and forth as I sat cross legged. “I haven’t seen them for a while, what’s happening lately with them? I know that Obaa-chan was getting white hairs all over, and she said that Moma-chan ran away and so she has ta get some ‘Lost’ posters for him, the silly Corgi.” I smile widely, and rubs the back of my neck with one hand, Nat taking mine with the other. I perk up as she does this, and then chuckle.

“Have you heard from them in a while?” She asks abruptly after a moment of hesitation, her frown deepening as I shook my head, utterly confused.

“Well, since I left they couldn’t really get to me, so I kinda lost contact. But I managed to search up the Mai house again, it’s somewhere nearby here!” I add breezily, noticing her slight scowl. It was rare to see the girl with such angry expressions, so it was only natural to wonder what was going on in that interesting head of hers. “How about we-”

“No.” Nat immediately projected a sheepish grin as she noticed her word of rejection, patting my head and my hand with a little wrinkle in the corner of her eyes as she smiled again. “Gomen, Nee-san, but we just don’t have the time.” She says, and then winces as I stifle another sneeze. Passing me the tissue box that was dropped on the ground, she let out a weary breath as she took both of my hands, looking me straight in the eye.

“Now listen to me, Hoshimi. This is important, and I will not be saying this again. Do you understand?” She stated with a stoic expression, as if the smile that would quirk up on her lips died from sudden heart failure.

“Huh? Oh… Okay.” I say with a nod, as she cups my hands together, her fingers enveloping mine as she tried to maintain a serious expression. “Yeah, sure. What’s the prob?” I ask with a faint smile, trying to keep the mood up. Nat nods slowly, and then lets her eyes flicker with the light reflecting and absorbing the color in her irises; it seemed as if the golden of her eyes were autumn and the green was summer.

“Hoshimi… you know how there is a circle of life…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Shura’s POV:

“Ya know, you didn’t have to be that mean about it, Miya-chan.” I scold, before wiping my mouth of the beer that frothed at my cheek and plopping down, the cup in my hand sloshing around.

“‘Ya know, you don’t have to be a drunk, Shura-chan’,” The bluenette mocks with a soft glare, huffing and letting herself turn to the other side.

“But ya did it anyways.” I respond scaldingly, sitting down next to her and ruffling her hair roughly.

“Oi, you asshat. Stop abusing my hair.” She hissed, and batted at my hands, her cheeks flushing a red with embarrassment and partial fury. “I don’t like it, and you know that.” She mumbled, re arranging the expertly dyed blue tufts that framed her face in little, childish curls. That certainly didn’t help the digestion of the fact that she was a smoker or a drunk, or that she was 5 years over the normal age of drinking in our country, which was 21. “Damn, Flames for Brains.” She retorted, and then looked to her guns that were splayed all around the room, like they were asleep. Of course, the souls inside them were.

Gently letting my finger trail along the handle of the pistol, I chuckle as the girl makes a surprised sound of protest, immediately scrambling to gather it in her hands. “Don’t want me touching that either, huh?” I tease, but then follow her gaze to the window, where many people were helping renovate, even Amaimon. Of course, this was only by the persuasion of the other Earth element holding human, who managed to pull him from his brother’s side to the welcoming arms of the service. Having him on our side had made the renovating a lot easier, yeah, but what if someone attacks again? With only Mephisto and Amaimon on our sides as Demon Kings, we would stand no chance against their father and head of command.

“We’ll be fine with that mission, if that’s what you’re thinking.” The bluenette states calmly, though feeling the voice waver, I couldn’t help but think different. “Even if it’s up against that strong of a force, and even if neither of our senseis could defeat him… We will. We will for sure.”

“Who said I wasn’t thinking that, baka?” I complain, though feel a grin come to my lips as I licked them. She was right; she was always right. I’ll only have to believe her.