A Hidden Love, Bitter Feelings, and a Savior

Koko’s POV:

“C’mon Hoshi…Hoshimi c’mon…” I whisper to the girl, my flames for hair burning behind Konkemaru and I as we sprinted to the tent that had medics bustling in and out of the tent, some holding corpses and others bringing in patients. I shoved through to the tent, my patience on its whim so I could make sure Hoshimi was alright.

“Who is this?!” A teacher asks, and I just shove her into her arms. Konkemaru answers for her, and he looks at her with a determined gaze.

“She is Hoshimi Mai, 14 years old, white blonde hair to her waist with blue eyes, weighs about 132 pounds, etto…” He stopped, then looked back at her. “She’s in your Taming class!” He smiles half-heartedly. “Please, she needs help!” He looks at the woman imploringly, and hefts her up with his hands, one holding hers and her tail tightly. “Her familiar- Hono- isn’t here right now, she’s too weak to summon him at the moment! Onegaishimasu!” He bows, clasping his hands together. The teacher nods, a faint smile on her face.

“I see you care deeply for this girl. I hope that me healing her will be a good choice.” The woman stated, her light strands covering her brown eyes. Sitting down, she laid Hoshimi on her back and started to treat her completely.

After about 15 minutes, her eyelids flutter open, causing me to smile and gasp in relief, and Konkemaru to hug her tightly as she sat up. Yami licked her cheek, pawing her down so he could lick her hairline and face-like he was grooming her, pretty much. She yelped in protest, her tail now wrapped under her shirt around her torso, thanks to me and the still blushing Konkemaru.

“H-Hoshimi-chan, I-I thought you-” He’s cut off by Hoshimi’s arms wrapped tightly around his neck, and so he responds by hugging her back just as tightly.

“Thanks you guys, for giving me the strength to move forward.” She whispered, and smiled faintly at us. Konkemaru held out a hand to her, and so she stood up shakily, using him as a support, her white-blonde silks battered and tangled. “Koko...thanks...w-wait, where’s-”

“Nee-san! Koyalee!” Yukio’s voice ripped us from our reunion, and so I turned, my face brightening up, despite the grime, dirt, and soot decorating my cheeks and forehead. “Oh Kami, I thought-” He stopped and set the motionless figure of Nat down, though she was breathing faintly and her chest was pushing up and down. Hoshimi smiled with happy tears, and reached out her fingers to go through her sister’s.

“O-Onee-chan…” She whispered, and smiled with joy, her tears of cheerfulness spilling down her cheeks as Nat’s fingers weakly threaded into her own.

I ran towards Yukio, hugging him tightly and waddling in a circle while hugging him, not wanting to let go. My head was nestled into his Adam’s Apple, and I let my nose twitch as I smelled aftershave and cologne on him. My cheeks flushed as we didn’t let go for a few minutes, just standing there and holding each other tight. I pushed him away quickly, and looked the other way.

“I-It wasn’t like I was worried or-”

“I’m glad you’re okay, Koyalee.” He stated softly, gently placing a hand on my head. My eyes widened, and happy tears filled my eyes. This has been the first time...someone’s ever said that… I hug him again, stifling a soft sob as I clench my fists in the back of his shirt.

“Yeah, well I’m gonna kick some ass on the battlefield, so don’t be a baka and die on me, okay?!” I command, and grip his shoulders. “Alright?!” I yelp, my cheeks flushing as red as my hair.

“Alright, Koyalee. Please be safe.” He pleaded, and kissed the top of my head. My eyes widened, and I looked at the boy surprised as he started towards Nat’s side. Y-yukio-kun...k-kissed...me… I smiled goofily, then remembered that there was a war going on and started to run towards the source of the light-to fight alongside my comrades; to protect my comrades-my nakama.

Rin’s POV:

I was now panting at the source of the light; Lucifer and his weapon. “Lucifer.” I growled out, my anger barely able to be put into words.

“I’m sad, really. To see my father’s favorite son have to be slaughtered by my hand. Poor me.” He drawled, yawning lightly and covering his mouth, though when his hands went up to the air, rays of light emanated from his hands to the rest of the city; screams were heard all over, and buildings collapsed at the immense heat.

“Stop it!” I yell out, and slash the light in front of me with my sword. “That won’t happen, ‘cause I won’t be taken down so easily!” I roar, my sword gleaming as the light rained over me. “I’ll take ya down, and I’ll protect this city- my friends!” I bellow, pounding my chest with my free hand. “Not Yukio; not Angel; not-not Nat!” I feel my feelings lump up in my heart, and they weren’t positive ones, either. I don’t even know why, they just started to grow. Yukio and Nat were running ahead; and I couldn’t catch up to them. They kept on running, and running, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t catch up to them. They were too far ahead for me to grab their hands, or to have them wait for me. I wanted to be good enough for them; good enough for myself.

“Aw. Are your family problems starting again?” He purred, and twirled his finger with a lock of hair. I growled, and sliced through his hair, having it fall to the ground.

“Don’t you dare insult my family!!” I protest, and punch him as he starts to come closer to me. I parried on like that; dodging and punching and slashing- until he managed to cut off the flames of my tail. I whimpered in pain, falling down to my side in pain.

“Not so strong now, huh?” I didn’t answer, only causing him to laugh harder. Maybe...Maybe I can join Shiemi...be with her again. I think sullenly, my eyes closing. He howled with laughter, and was about to strike for the kill as I laid there vulnerably, until a golden green and amber light twisted together with all different kinds of elements blazed through.

“Not my brother, you bastard!”

Rin’s POV:

I looked up, opening my eyes to see two girls standing in front of me. One had a golden sword hefted on her shoulder, and the other had a classic steel one in her hand, held forward. “Koko…? Nat?” I whisper out, my voice hoarse and weak with the lack of oxygen.

“At your service.” Koko grinned, showing her teeth as her fiery hair licked at the air around us. “Nat, you sure you’re okay?” She asked the girl worried; the girl next to the flame haired girl leaned on her left side, her left arm limp and her knees trembling.

“I’ll be fine. Just for now. Then, I’ll get medic help.” She murmured, shaking it off. She clutched her locket-well, lockets- and let a small smile slip on her lips. “I have to avenge my loved ones. This won’t do any good, but knowing that I can make them proud can help me with my goal.” She stated so softly, that her voice could only be heard by Koko and I.

I tried to smile, but grimaced, coughing up blood from my tail. It was now a stump without a flame, it pawing around, like it was searching for its missing part. I panted lightly, laying back. “Ready, Koyalee?” She asked, hefting her sword off her shoulder. Koyalee smirked, and looked back at the man who was on the ground, staggering back up.

“Born ready.”

The last thing I saw were two warriors charging, and a light blazing so brightly that I let myself fall back, my eyes rolling back to my head as I fell unconscious.