prologue

Was the law school debt really worth it?

At this rate I wasn't even going to get my law practicing license.

'' This place doesn't have any cameras, right? '' I nervously asked and looked around with wide eyes. The man standing in front of me frowned in confusion and opened his mouth to answer me, but I was too fast. My fist collided with his face and made him stumble back. I cringed at the sight of the blood that appeared on his nose and apologetically bowed. '' I'm sorry for cutting you off like that, but I am kind of in a hurry. ''

A flock of birds flew from one of the trees and disappeared in the clear blue sky. The green tree tops were casting shadows on the grass of the botanical garden behind the museum and the lines of red flowers that were marking the pathways, matched the colour of my high heels. I was struggling to balance on the gravel and I cursed my boss for ordering me to dress nice for court. I liked the blazers and white shirts, but heels were a bit too much for me to handle. It was a true miracle that I didn't fall yet, while hogging the gardener's giant rakes and threatening him with them.

'' You can stop lying, mister. I know that it was you who secretly witnessed the murder and I need you to say that in court! '' I intertwined my fingers and pleadingly continued: '' Come on, if we leave right now, we'll be able to use the bus and I won't have to use all my dinner money for a taxi! ''

I was dealing with a bit of a race against time right now and my witness was being extremely difficult. The old man was scared and I could understand that he wanted nothing to do with a murder, but I had to convince him to testify. My boss's client was in the middle of his trial right now and he was going to get locked up for a lack of real evidence if I won't be able to drag the gardener to court. '' Please, mister. I am desperate. I spent the whole morning looking for you! ''

The man nervously ran through his hair with his hand and mumbled: '' How did you find me? I didn't even give a statement to the police. You shouldn't have any information about me! ''

'' I was doing a bit of investigating of my own around the crime scene and I happened to wander in a nearby bar. Truthfully, I didn't do very well and I was going to drink my sorrows away until the owner of the place told me about you. He said that one night you came to his bar completely terrified because you saw somebody get shot in an alley not far away from there. It was a bit tricky to scout you out, since the barman didn't know your name and couldn't tell me anything else besides the fact that you are a gardener, '' I explained and leaned against his rakes. '' I did the only thing that I could think of and visited all the gardeners in the area. You are looking at me like I am crazy right now, but you should've seen the face of the guy that I met up with before I came here. ''

He frowned and shook his head with confusion. '' I still don't understand. I never confirmed that it was me. At least not until now. ''

'' You left evidence behind. '' I grinned and pulled an old leaf from my pocket. The man's eyes grew wide with shock and my gaze wandered around the numerous trees all around us. They were filled with the same shaped green leaves. '' There are not very many chestnut trees in the area. ''

The man still looked like he wasn't completely sure about it, but I managed to convince him. He realised that he had no choice and that he would never get rid of me if he wouldn't follow me to court. We were running a bit late and we ended up having to get a taxi anyway, but the trial wasn't over yet. Everybody turned their heads when I walked in the court room with a surprise witness, my boss winked at me and I couldn't help it but to smile with pride.

If he can't do it, you should. You want to be lawyer, you are working as his apprentice and if he can't do it, you should do it in his place.