Prologue

Location: MIT institute, Massachussets
Date: August 19, 2034

A screen pops up. It shows a scientist encased himself in a wardrobe. It seems it's a recorded message. The following transcript is followed.

"Hello, is this recording? Oh! there it is okay, umm hello names Dr. Paquer Herington. I locked myself here so as not to be attacked by the infected. I'm recording this so that if someone finds this tape, they have a clue to how it all began.

Okay, so this may have been our fault. There was an accident here at the MIT Institute. One of my colleagues was trying to examine the Yersinia pestis bacteria. Now i'm sure you've heard of it. Umm we're trying to modify the bacterium to make a vaccine. We carefully modifed the bacterium's genome with the genes of a dormant strain of its cousin. Our project was almost complete until there was a power outage. The sample quickly reacted to the situation and began to mutate.

The power was back of course thanks to our mechanic. We investigated the sample and it was weakened or at least it shouln't be. We tested the vaccine by infecting a small child who was suffering from the Bubonic plague. The results were not as we expected. The bacteria mutated and transformed the child into a blood raging maniac. It tried to break out of its cell.

We investigated the sample. We found out that the bacteria was capable of sentience. The power outage may have triggered its mutagenic properties. As we observed the child, it took about 5-10 mins before symptoms started to manifest. The child suffered internal hemorrhaging, sociopathic tendencies, severe skin mutations such as blackened skin, calcified epidermis and so on. This victim now becomes extremely aggressive towards everybody. And scans revealed that the adrenal glands have mutated, increasing its alertness, combat skills and increased metabolism. Furthermore, the victim suffers extreme pain and agony when it was exposed to UV light. The worse part is that its somehow intelligent based on the pathogen's lifestyle.

While were observing the child, the observation deck window broke and the child escaped. I escaped the assault and went to hide. I can hear everybody here screaming and shouting as they're being killed or infected. The assumed Patient Zero is a child. According to our records, his name is Henry Gibberstan. Don't try to be a hero here looking for that kid! If it gets you, you're done. Your best bet is to find the failed vaccine. The failed vaccine is located here at the MIT institute. Do not get samples from the infected as the bacteria immediately kills itself when extracted.

Oh, it seems that my battery is running low. If you find this recording, it may help you and the world as we know it. We now know the true dangers of genetics. As mesmerizing as it seems, we are also putting ourselves in complete danger. Please, let not our sacrifices be in vain. I'll be sending a transmitted copy of this. Dr Pacquer, signing off." The recording ends