Friends and foes

It took a while, but the golf cart finally arrived in a small neighbourhood. Little houses were arranged around a circle nearby the green forest. The houses were painted white, while sky-blue tiles covered the roof.

The cart came to a stop in front of one the houses in the middle. It had a grassy front yard with a red mailbox with the number 5 on it.

"All right miss Emily," Mr King said turning around to face her and gesturing at the house, "This is where you'll be staying."

Emily's face was suddenly filled with panic. She turned to Beca with pleading eyes. "Don't worry. I'll be right next door," Beca said while putting on a reassuring smile.

It didn't help much so she put a hand on Emily's left leg and tried to comfort her, "Hey, it's gonna be ok."

Emily still looked scared, but before she could say anything, the door of the house opened and a familiar voice was heard.

"Beca! Emily! Finally, you're here!" called a tall brunette.

Beca winced at the sound of her squealing sister. "Stacie!" the younger girl exclaimed before shooting out of the cart. Beca could've sworn Emily was shot from a cannon with the speed she was running.

The two girls collided in gaint hug, shaking each other from side to side.

With a sigh and a shake of her head, Beca got out to say hello to her friend. Stacie was Beca's oldest and best friend. She could still remember the first day that they met.

..........................

Beca was seven years old when it happened. Her mother had passed away a week ago. At her funeral, Beca saw her father cry for the first time. She wanted to cry with her him, but then she saw Emily. The little girl was crying her eyes out.

It was then that Beca realised, she had to be the rock for the family.

Her father usually took that position, but now he was going to have to take on the roll of their mother too. So Beca thought that she should start taking the roll of their father.

She had to be tough and strong. She had to be the best fighter in order to protect them. She must never show weakness or vulnerability.

That was Beca's new rule. Be strong, and never let anyone bring you down.

But it was harder than she thought. Whenever she thought of her mother she wanted to cry, but she knew she shouldn't. She kept all her emotions bottled up, and in doing so, started pushing people away.

She never pushed Emily away, but she didn't tell her everything anymore. Whenever Emily asked, she played it off as if nothing was wrong.

It went on for a month. Until one morning she had a dream.

In her dream she could hear her mother screaming for help, but she couldn't find her.

She woke up with sweat pouring down her face, and it felt as if her heart was racing against a vampire.

She couldn't handle it anymore. She needed to go somewhere to clear her head. And that's exactly what she did.

She ran to the one place that only she knew about. A place where she felt safe, where she could pour out all of her emotions. A secret cave behind the waterfall, not far from their cabin.

She silently crept out the front door and ran, as fast as she could. But in her rush to get to the cave, she didn't notice someone watching her.

Water splashed all around her body as she entered the cave through the door of water.

She just plopped down in the middle of the little cave. The cool feeling of the stone floor under her.