Chapter 8.

"In the last few weeks, three young women have gone missing. Whitney Young, Ariana Nathans and just last night a young woman named Gray Parker was last seen standing outside on Wall Avenue and appeared to be hitch hiking but later in the night disappeared. The woman was wearing a dark hoodie and seemed to have been wondering on her own, without any place to spend the night-"

This time it was Carter who turned the TV off, listening to the soft sobs coming from Harry in the kitchen. He had been making coffee for the two of them that evening while the rain was pouring down onto the glass windows. The coffee had just came out hot and the mugs were steaming as the black coffee filled to the rim of the white, old looking mug. He must've had that mug for years.

Harry's ringed fingers held the handles of both the mugs tightly, his knuckles turned pale while his eyes squeezed shut. The once deep emerald color of his eyes had become strained and bloodshot. A wet, salty substance had left a trail down his cheek; a skinny, narrow trail. He didn't make any noises except for the shakiness coming from his throat that caught Carter's attention.

She placed her toes onto the warm carpet, letting the soft material get stuck between her toes. Carter pushed herself off the couch using her fists and stood up. She slowly made her way into the kitchen. She was so quiet that it hadn't seemed like Harry even noticed her getting up. She let her petite fingers trace against the marble counter top of the island and stood behind Harry. She used her cold, tiny fingers to brush against Harry's back in a comforting manner. He immediately stopped crying, choking back the tears that were threatening to pour out of him. He simply took the mugs in his hands, forced a smile and turned to Carter, offering her a mug. He didn't say anything, for he was afraid that if he did more tears would start falling.

"Thank you," Carter whispered and took the mug in her hands. The mug warmed her cold fingers, the heat rushing to all the other parts of her body. Her muscles relaxed but they tensed up against once she saw the redness in Harry's scleras. His chest rose and fall uneasily, like he was fighting the gasps of air he needed to take. A salty, warm liquid was building along his waterline, but his forced smile was still plastered onto his lips.

"She reminded me of you," Harry let out, his tears finally beginning to fall after having held it back for the incredibly long, painful hours. He placed his own mug down onto the counter top and nearly fell into the wooden stool that was pushed beneath the island. Harry's sobs were deep and loud, the kind you only ever hear in the bathroom at a funeral home. He took in sharp breaths, so sharp they cut like a knife in his chest. Just like I had done to her. I deserved this guilt, I deserved every bit of it. And even more. Harry thought while laying his head down onto the island, letting the tears fall into the fabric of his sweater.

"Harry.." Carter released a soft breath filled with deep empathy for him. She pulled over a stool and put it close to Harry's, before taking a seat in it. She wrapped her arms around Harry's torso and buried her face into his neck, whispering sweet little nothings into his ear, in attempt to try and make it better for him. He had no reason to be this upset and Carter knew that full well. She used her fingertips to stroke up and down along Harry's spine, while her lips pressed gentle kisses to his jawline and to the top of his head. His hair was a slight mess but that didn't stop her from giving him loving kisses and sweet comfort.

"Harry, look at me," Carter whispered into his ear, creating a field of goosebumps that arose all over the surface of Harry's tan, yet pale skin. He listened to her before nodding and lifted his head. His eyes were puffy from the amount of crying and looked at Carter. The sight of her lover seemed to shatter her heart into pieces; the pieces so small that it was nearly impossible to put them back together. He looked worn out from crying, the bags under his eyes gave that away. His chest rose and fell in a rapid motion.