Part 10: You left me.

Începe de la început

I say a quick goodbye to Abby and Lilly. After that, me and Olivia leave with our car to the closest village.

Olivia is driving the car when she suddenly panicky asks me, "Do you have the list of what Abby needs for our infirmary?"

"Yes, you don't need to be worried, it is in my pocket. The most important thing we need are antibiotics in case Lilly gets an infection."

Olivia nods her head to acknowledgment me, but she still seems worried. "Is everything okay?" I decide to ask her.

"Just a little nervous when I am not with my sister. I always think something will happen when Lilly is not there to protect me," She admits.

"No need to worry I am here to protect you if anything happens," I tell her while giving her knee a reassuring squeeze. This seems to calm some of Olivia's nerves when a small smile appears on her lips.

After an hour drive, we arrive to our destination. "We're here," Olivia announces before we excite the car.

There don't seem to be any zombies outside the store. "Let's do this," I say as we both make our way to the entrance. The glass door is broken which makes it easy for us to enter the pharmacy.

"We aren't the first ones here hopefully there is still something left," Olivia says and starts to clap in her hands to see if there are any zombies left in the pharmacy.

"No zombies, I think the coast is clear." With that said we start to look through the store.

"Olivia how does Abby know all this stuff?" I ask as I look behind the counter at the orders for people that were stocked away.

"I don't know in all honesty, me and my sister found her when we were looking through a mansion. The walls and floors where covered in blood and there were dead bodies everywhere. We thought it was abandoned till suddenly Lilly saw a body move on the ground. At first we thought it was a zombie until it started asking us for help. Abby was badly beaten and we helped her recover. When we looked at all the dead men, they weren't zombies at the time they died. We think those men did something bad to Abby and somehow she managed to kill a dozen of those men with only a sword. She never talks about what happened there and we never ask her. She just stays with us and together we survive."

I stay quiet after that, I honestly don't know what to respond. I already expected that Abby had a tough life before the apocalypse, but this almost sounds like she killed a gang or something.

Maybe we will never know what fully happened to her, but that doesn't matter. We are her family now. The five of us are each other's new family.

"Graaagh!"

"Aaaaaah Max!!!" Olivia screams, I look in her direction to see a zombie on top of her trying to bite a piece out of her neck. I quickly take one of my knives and throw it straight into the zombie's skull, making it fall dead on top of Olivia.

I rush over and pull the corpse of off Olivia before helping her up. "Are you alright? Did it bite you?" I ask while scanning her body for bite or scratch marks.

Olivia smiles at me before taking me in a bone crushing hug. "I'm alright thanks to you." Olivia lets go of me and takes a step back.

"I promised I would keep you safe, just like Lilly does. We are a family now Olivia and we survive together."

"Thank you Max, you're right, we survive toghe..." Olivia suddenly stops talking and starts coughing blood out of her mouth. There is a bloody arrow sticking through her chest. Without thinking, I quickly take Olivia into my arms before she falls to the ground.

"Olivia, no Olivia stay with me, you have to stay awake. I'll bring you home and Abby will treat you. No Olivia open your eyes!" I scream at her face as Olivia's breathing stops.

"You left me Max." I look through my teary eyes to see a figure standing in the doorway with a crossbow in his arms.

"Diego," I say my voice barely coming out above a whisper.

My breathing suddenly becomes rapid and my chest starts to hurt. There is a sense of terror going through me. I keep repeating in my head that this isn't real, it is just another nightmare.

"It's alright now Max, I found you and that's all that matters. I will deal with those who took you from me," Diego tells me while he pulls the arrow out of Olivia's corpse.

Everything around me is spinning and I am starting to feel extremely dizzy.

"It's okay baby, just close your eyes and go to sleep. I will protect you from the monsters," Diego gently tells me as he strokes my cheek.

The last thing I see before darkness consumes me is Olivia's dead body and Diego's sickly smiling face.

Posted on April 26, 2019.