Part 10: You left me.

Two months later.

Lilly is healing quite well and this is all thanks to our miracle child doctor Abby. I still find it strange that someone as young as her knows so much about medical stuff.

Not that I am complaining, otherwise Lilly would be dead, or rather undead after that zombie bite.

Lilly told me that their parents both got bitten. It took their dad six hours to die and turn from a fever, while their mom lasted eight hours before turning.

Bryan and I have never seen anyone change after a bite. We never saw my father change so we did not know how long it takes anyone to die from the infection and turn. The transformation time and process depends from person to person.

I still remember the first wave six months ago, where so many people simply died by the virus and didn't even got a chance to survive another day.

Mike is one of them. He just collapsed to the ground, died and turned into a flesh eating monster that day. Maybe those people are the lucky ones, they don't have to see what have become of the world.

On the brighter side it could have been worse for us. We have our own safe sanctuary here, that after the horde two months ago got some extra security.

The fence has gotten an upgrade. We are now busy putting earth on the inside against the fence, that way it can't be pushed over.

Our kitchen garden is getting a greenhouse so we can produce more food.

We are also becoming much closer with the girls. The first two weeks we were still cautious around each other. Like we were all waiting for one of us to kill the other in their sleep. But once we all realized that none of us have bad intentions we learned to live as a close group of five.

Olivia is the sensitive one, I truly believe that if Lilly wasn't there she wouldn't have lasted a day in this new world. But she has a heart of gold, always smiling and brightening the mood inside the cabin.

If there is one person in the whole cabin that can make you forget there is an apocalypse, then it is Olivia.

Lilly is the opposite from Olivia. She is one of those people who is made to survive the apocalypse. Even with the loss of her leg, I think she is able to survive in this world, completely on her own. But she will never leave her sister, which she is very protective over.

Abby is a big mystery, she barely talks and doesn't socialize very much. She is the youngest person in this cabin, however she is also the most mature one. From what Lilly told me one time, the sisters met her a month after the start of the apocalypse.

Abby isn't very close with me and even less with Bryan. She stays more with the sisters or on her own. I personally think some men did something to her that made her wary of them.

But me and Bryan give Abby all the space she needs, pushing her to become close to us will only have the opposite effect.

"Max are you ready for our supply run?" Olivia calls from the doorway of my bedroom.

"Yes, I just changed my clothes let's go," I tell her while closing the zipper of my jacket.

Once outside I smile when I see Bryan and Abby working on the greenhouse. In the meantime Lilly is sitting at the picnic table, while folding laundry.

I walk over to Bryan and give him a peck on his lips. "Be careful," He tells me when I pull away from him.

"I will, though we aren't going to be home till dinner. The pharmacy is rather far away from our woods." Bryan nods in acknowledgment and goes back to work.