Part 4: The road of sorry.

I think I am going insane. There is this awkward atmosphere in the car between Bryan and me that even the music that is playing can't conceal.

We have been driving for three hours straight without a break. The streets are filled with dozens of death bodies. We haven't seen much living people out here, only a few that were packing their stuff to leave like we are doing or securing there houses so the dead can't come in.

"We're halfway through but we're not going to make it with our gas. We must stop at the next gas station to refill the tank." Bryan tells me while keeping his eyes on the road in front of him.

It was the first thing said since the car drive, it didn't lessen the tick air in the car. I chose not to reply and kept looking at the new world. I don't understand how everything went downhill so quickly.

Weren't we more prepared against the end of the world?

What happened to spread a virus so quickly?

Was it done on purpose or just an accident?

And last but not the least will this be the new reality for the human race or is there still hope?

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even see that we were parked at a gas station until Bryan was waving his hand in front of my face, "Maxie, earth to Max, ooh hello thought I lost you there for a second." He said with a stupid chuckle.

I slapped his hand away, "Ha-Ha, very funny Bryan. Let's make it quick, I don't like it here. The sooner we are at the cabin the better." With that said I exited the car.

The gas station looks abandoned, not a sign of a living or a dead person in eyesight and it makes me slightly nervous. I looked around to see that Bryan is already out of the car and ready to fill the tank.

"Max, could you look inside the shop for extra food. We should make our food supply as large as possible to last longer."

"Aye boss, right away." I say with a mock salute which makes Bryan laughs a little.

Right when I am walking to the little shop of the gas station Bryan stops me by grabbing my arm. I flinch away from his touch, he looks sad at my reaction and takes a step back. "I just wanted to tell you to be careful Max, if anything happens just scream for me as loud as you can." I nod and with that walk through the front doors.

That was strange I don't understand Bryan. I was afraid he was going to punch me, but he just wanted to let me know he would be their if I need him. He is acting like the old Bryan before my coming out, but I can't help and wonder for how long till he starts hurting me again. Maybe he is just nice because all we have is each other.

Damn it I am getting a headache from all this thinking. Why couldn't I get feelings for someone who didn't hate gay people. With that thought I start loading a shopping bag with all kinds of candy, lunch bars and chips. Wow I think our diet is going to be great, however we also have tons of canned food from Bryan's home and at the cabin is also a stock according to Bryan. So for now food is not an issue.

At the end of the aisle there is a blood trail. Shit should I call Bryan. HELL NO, I am not a crybaby that needs protection from his bully. I can take care of myself. Silently I walk towards the back of the store. The trail leads to the toilets.

Should I open the door and look, but what if there is one of those monsters behind the door. Well only one way to find out, I take the pocket knife Bryan gave me earlier and slowly open the door. There are two stalls and the blood trial leads to the last one.

Quietly I step to the door and take a deep breath to calm myself. I am not helpless and with that thought in my head I push the stall door open ready to attack.

Pfff, I leave a breath that I didn't know I was holding and let my shoulders relax, the stall is empty. Typical me to get all worked up for nothing.

I hear the door of the toilets open, "Hey Bryan are we ready...aaaah!" I scream when a rotting corpse jumps on me. With all my power I try to keep it away from me by pushing it up. I can't use my knife because if I let my grip go of the zombie it will take a bite of my face.

"BRYAN HEEEELLP!" I yell at the top of my lungs. I don't know how long I can keep this up. The zombie above me looks at me with those pure with eyes, his mouth is snapping only inches above my face and the stench of dead is overwhelming. It makes me want to throw up.

Right when my arms are about to give up the monster is ripped of me. I look up to see Bryan bashing the skull of the zombie with a baseball bat till there is nothing left of it, solely a pile of red gore.

"Bryan." My voice is just above a whisper his chest is heaving and the look of on his face screams murder. I am getting scared of him, this Bryan looks even scarier than the one that used to bully me. I can feel myself beginning to panic as my breathing picks up.

This seems to snap Bryan out of his trance as those blazing eyes snap to me. I let out a whimper and try to crawl to the wall away from him. His eyes seem to soften at me before he walks to me. I close my eyes afraid of what will happen next.

But then I feel a soft caress on my cheek, I open my eyes to see Bryan in front of me with a soft smile and his hand caressing my face. "Hey, everything is okay now, no one is going to hurt you because I am here to protect you. I promise you Maxie that I will die before I make you cry again, I was so stupid for hurting an angel like you and maybe one day you can forgive me, even if I can't forgive myself."

I was speechless, what could I respond to that I feel more tears fall from my eyes and put my arms around Bryan's neck hugging him. Bryan immediately stiffened at the contact of my arms around him. Like he isn't sure what to do now, but then he put his arms under me and stands up.

He carries me in his arms out the store to our car. Bryan places me in the passenger seat and put my seat belt for me on. He starts to leave making me panic. "Where are you going?"

"Easy Max I am going to take the bag with food from the store, I will be right back." He tells me softly. I just nod my head, but keep my eyes on him for the whole time. Like he was going to disappear and leave me all alone to die out here. But he came back with the food. After he put the bag with food in the car, we leave the gas station. To our new home and hopefully one so far in the woods that even the monsters can't find us.

But I doubt it.

Posted on March 22, 2019.