Part 3: We need to go.

I wake up from the light that is shining on my eyelids. During the first seconds I open my eyes everything is a blur and I don't know where I am. Until I hear light snoring, that's make me turn around to see the source of it.

On the couch next to me I see Bryan sleeping. Right then yesterday events hit come back to me. Everything, all the blood, deaths and horror aren't a nightmare, it is my new reality.

Both of my parents are dead and for the first time in my life I am truly alone, with no one that loves me. Suddenly I feel a hand on my face and look up to see Bryan whipping tears from my face that I hadn't even realized had fallen from my eyes.

Maybe I am not truly alone I still have Bryan, but I know he will eventually leave me like he did when I came out to him. The only reason he promised my dad to keep me safe was to not hurt the wish of a dying man any further.

Suddenly I feel arms around me and Bryan whispering in my ear, "shh Max, hey everything is going to be okay we are going to be okay. You are not alone."

I don't know why he is trying to comfort me while he hates me. Probably because my crying annoys him.

With that thought I push myself out of Bryan's embrace while trying to pull myself together. I got to stay strong. I need to live for my parents, even if they are gone. They wouldn't want me to give up.

I look up to Bryan's face and see hurt written all over his face. I don't understand why but I just ignore it and wipe the tears of my face away using the sleeve of my shirt.

"Have you heard anything from your parents?" I ask Bryan after all the traces off my tears are gone.

"No, they don't answer their cell phones or tried to call me back. Max I don't think they made it out of the city. When you were sleeping I watched the news and believe me, it is bad. The cities are even worse than our town because they said the infection started there." He says with a broken voice. I can see he wants to cry but is doing everything to hold it in.

"Hey you don't know that maybe they are okay and just lost their phones or the battery could be empty."

"Yes Max maybe you are right."

Although he agrees with me, I see in his eyes that he doesn't believe me.

To be honest I wouldn't believe myself, his parents are two accountants that wouldn't be able to defend themselves against those monsters. My parents were much stronger and they even couldn't protect themselves.

Suddenly I am pulled out of my thoughts by Bryan's voice, "Come on we should shower and eat something. You can shower in my bathroom, I will use the one of my parents."

I just nod and follow him upstairs to his bedroom. Once inside his room, he walks inside his closet. After a few minutes of me awkwardly standing inside his bedroom he comes out with a set of clean clothes for me.

"Here, they are probably going to be a little big on you but it's better than wearing dirty ones." Bryan says while giving them to me.

"That's not a problem, when I used to sleep here I wore tons of your shirts." The moment that sentence left my lips I regretted saying it. Those days are gone just as the Bryan in those memories. The one who would always give me an extra blanket when I was too cold or would let me sleep next to him when I had a nightmare.

I look up to Bryan and see that he is just as uncomfortable as I am. Like he remembers that we aren't best friends anymore and the only reason I am here is because there isn't really another choice.

Right when he wants to say something I turn around and lock myself in the bathroom. I am not in the mood for this. I just want to be alone and forget everything that happened yesterday. I can't think about my parents because I will break down.

After I strip of my clothes which have dried blood from my dad on them, I step inside the shower and start washing myself. Trying to forget everything for a moment doesn't work, instead I just start crying. After there are no more tears left to cry, I calm down and step outside the shower to get dressed.

The clothes are a bit big on me because Bryan is taller and more muscular than me. But even after all the things Bryan did to me I can't help but feel a sense of comfort coming from the clothes. I smell the sweater's collar and feel a little better because of the familiar scent.

A sudden knock on the door gets me out of my thoughts. "If you are ready in the bathroom you can come downstairs, Food will be ready in five minutes."

I don't get time to reply before I hear him walk down the stairs. Probably to finish what he is preparing in the kitchen. I must have taken quite a while in the bathroom for him to shower and make lunch.

I walked down the stairs to be greeted by the amazing smell of fries, my favorite food are homemade fries. Strange that Bryan decided to bake fries because he hates them.

Bryan is already seated at the table and dishing out my plate with fries, a piece of chicken and of course a salad. Bryan always used to insist I ate way to little vegetables. Why was he acting like the old Bryan, the one I had a crush on and always was there when I needed him.

"I thought this could make the day a little better for you, I know it is just food but Yeah you know."

He sit there awkwardly, like he didn't know what to do or say, so I sit down in front of him. I can see that his eyes are red and a bit swollen. He must have a hard time like me but he tries to hide it from me. "Thanks Bryan, I appreciate it a lot." I said with an honest smile.

No need to be mean when he did something kind for the first time in months. Plus the fact that he is just as alone as me in this moment.

When I thank him I see the corners of his mouth turn into a small smile but I let it pass and dug in my plate of food.

The fries taste delicious, but it isn't really a big surprise. Bryan is an amazing cook in contrast to me. Since I accidentally set the kitchen on fire one time I had to swear to Bryan I would always ask him to make food for me if I was hungry.

When I eat a piece of chicken I can't help but moan, it is delicious. I look up to see Bryan with a blush on his face. "Are you feeling okay?" I ask him.

"Yes just a bit hot in here. How is the food?" He asks changing the topic.

"Really good, but what are we going to do now? I think we need a plan to survive another day." Bryan nods in agreement.

"We could go to my family's cabin. We will be away from all of these monsters because it is a few miles away from the nearest town."

I think about it a bit and it sounds good to me. "Okay, maybe you can start packing clothes and I will start loading food and water in the car. I think the sooner we leave the better."

"Good plan Max, the car is in the garage so you don't need to go on the streets. We leave in twenty minutes otherwise we won't make it before dark." With that Bryan leaves for the stairs to pack clothes.

After fifteen minutes I am ready, the trunk was full with food from his pantry. Thank God that Bryan's mother is always well stocked. She could feed an army with all her food.

Suddenly I hear the sound of a window breaking, followed by something stumbling inside. The noise is coming from inside living room.

I peek quietly from behind a wall. Shit, a zombie and it is a big guy with a huge gash out of his face. It is groaning and smelling the air.

Then it hits me, it smells me. I quickly duck behind the wall to hide myself from sight.

What should I do now? Why am I always so scared? I hate this. Suddenly I feel a grip on my shoulder, but before I can scream Bryan is holding a hand over my mouth.

He silently leads me to the garage and motions me to be quiet. Right when Bryan closes and locks the door of the garage behind us, the creature starts banging on it.

"It knows we are here, we need to go right now." Bryan commands in a panicked voice.

We jump into the car and Bryan drives immediately out the garage. I turn around just to see a glimpse of the zombie running far behind us.

That was close, too close.

Posted on February 03, 2019.