Chapter Forty-Four

I opened my eyes and squinted at the door as it opened, Christopher poking his head in sheepishly.

"What do you want?" I asked him roughly, dropping my head back down and closing my eyes.

"Mira asked me to bring you some food," he said hesitantly, his voice moving closer. Something clattered on my bedside table before his weight pushed my mattress down.

"Yes?" I asked, my eyes still closed, hoping if I ignored his presence he would disappear.

"Can we talk for a bit, or are you too tired?"

"I'm too tired."

"Oh, okay," Christopher let out a small sigh and his weight left the bed.

I tried really, really hard to not say anything, but I couldn't. I let out a heavy sigh and creaked my body into a sitting position, sending him a half-hearted glare as he turned to look at me.

"You've woken me up now," I muttered, rubbing a hand across my face and flicking my un-gelled hair out of my eyes. "Pass me the soup."

Christopher smiled and nodded his head, rushing back and grabbing the tray, waiting for me to stop shuffling before placing it gently on my lap. Pumpkin soup with fresh rolls – delicious. I took a piece of buttered bread and dipped it into the warm soup, nodding my head in appreciation.

"Alright, what's up?" I said, grabbing another piece and scooping some more into my mouth.

"I'm sorry about earlier," Christopher said, looking away as he wrung his fingers together. "I shouldn't have gotten mad at you."

"I don't really care."

Christopher looked at me for a moment before he sighed and leant back slightly.

"Yeah, I should have figured."

I shrugged and picked up the spoon, scooping some of the soup in and swallowing.

"Just so you know, this isn't your fault," I said, gesturing to myself as I pointed the spoon at him.

"Yes, it is." Christopher flopped on my bed, rolling on his side so he was half-curled into a foetus, his head resting on his forearm as he watched me eat. "You totally sacrificed yourself for me."

"You're right, I did." I smirked at him. "You owe me."

"Just add it to the list," he retorted quickly, laughing a little before closing his eyes. "Seriously, all you seem to do is help me out."

"What are friends for?"

"We're friends?" Christopher opened his eyes and stared at me, his eyes burning intently into mine as I choked on soup.

"Well," I gasped out, hitting my chest slightly and looking away from his bright eyes. "It's just a saying."

"Right." He didn't sound like he believed me.

We fell into awkward silence for a moment as I continued eating and avoided Christopher's eyes.

"So... have you been keeping up with your training?" I asked him, changing the subject as smoothly as I could.

"Of course," he muttered, finally closing his eyes and allowing me to breathe. "That is why I am here, after all."

"What about work? Has there been any news?"

"Not really. Since you're not there Andrews hasn't been letting me do much. Haven't even been allowed on any missions."

"Andrews," I muttered, stirring my soup. "Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I would prefer if you weren't killed when I wasn't around."

"Why? Cause only you can kill me?" Christopher said suddenly, watching me carefully. My heart jumped into my throat and I swallowed. Why would he say that? Did he know? What did he know? Would he leave?

"Well," I paused for a moment and nodded. "That, plus I wouldn't want your death impacting my reputation."

Christopher raised his eyebrows slightly and shook his head, a small smile pulling the corner of his lips up.

"I didn't think you'd admit it."

"Admit what?"

"That you're going to kill me."

I eyed him as I dipped some bread into my soup.

"I didn't admit to anything."

"Sure."

Christopher sat up and leant forward, pressing his hand into the bed next to my thigh and pushing his face close to mine, his eyes staring deep into mine. I pulled my head back slightly and raised my eyebrows at him.

"What are you doing? I'm trying to eat," I said with a huff, holding onto the tray as I pushed him back slightly, as gently as I could with my broken fingers.

"Do you promise?" He whispered, his eyes darting between mine.

"Promise what?" I groaned in annoyance, rolling my eyes at him.

"That you won't do that again."

"What again? Stop talking like that, you're being all cryptic."

"Promise me you won't take my place again," he said roughly. "If DeMarlo wants to punish me, then let me get punished."

"DeMarlo won't want to punish you again, cause you're not going to do anything wrong," I said with a scoff, sending him a look. "That's an order."

"Promise me."

"You wouldn't be able to survive his punishment."

"Promise me," he said stronger, narrowing his eyes at me.

"I'm used to these punishments," I explained, avoiding his eyes and hiding behind my hair that flopped in front of my face. "There's no need for you to go through it."

"Promise me, Michaelson," Christopher said softly, brushing my hair away from my eyes so he could look at me.

"Okay, fine," I said quickly, jerking my head away and glaring at him. "I'll leave it – obviously I wasted my time covering for you." Christopher nodded and leant back, giving me room to breathe. "Don't ever get in my face like that again," I hissed, picking my spoon up and scooping the soggy piece of bread out of the soup, dumping it on the tray unceremoniously.

"Or what?" Christopher teased, standing up with a smirk on his face. "You'll kill me?"

"I might," I muttered, spooning some soup into my mouth.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" He asked, moving to the TV and picking up the remote. I frowned at him, eyeing his big smile and excited eyes before shaking my head and sighing.

"Sure, why not."

"Yes!" He cried, turning the TV on and grabbing the blanket from the couch, walking to the other side of my bed.

"Who said you could lay with me? Sit on the couch."

"Oh, come on! Your bed is massive, share it with me," he complained, propping a pillow up on the headboard next to me.

"Fine, but take this away, I'm done." I gestured to the tray and he nodded, grabbing it and placing it on the bedside table next to him before settling in and wrapping the blanket over his legs.

"What do you want to watch?" He asked, scrolling through the options on the TV. I tried to shrug and groaned in pain, sliding down the headboard until I was settled back into my pillows.

"I don't care, you choose," I muttered.

I closed my eyes and listened as a movie started, not really paying attention to what it was he chose. Christopher settled in, shuffling around until he was comfy and turning the movie up slightly.

"Michaelson?" Christopher whispered after a few minutes.

"Mmm?" I mumbled back, opening my eyes slightly to glance at the TV.

"Thank you for covering for me," he said softer.

I smiled and closed my eyes, not bothering to reply as I fell asleep.