Chapter Forty-Three

I don't know how long I slept for, but however long it was wasn't long enough. A groan escaped my mouth as I became conscious to the pain echoing around my body, each and every sinew in my muscles twitching in pain. There was a small gasp, and someone left the room, light steps running quickly. Loud, stomping steps ran quickly from down the hall and then my bedroom door smashed open, causing me to jump as I lifted my head and groggily glared at Christopher.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I coughed out huskily, letting my head flop back on the pillows. "You're too fucking loud."

Christopher whispered a sorry and I watched him through a half-cracked eye lid as he closed the door lightly behind him and tiptoed over. I shut my eyes and let out a deep sigh.

"Are you okay?" Christopher whispered lightly. "Do you need some water?"

I let out a long, drawn-out sigh and nodded my head, shuffling slightly as I tried to sit up. Hot pain shot up my spine and I winced, causing Christopher to reach his arms out to help me. I slapped his hand away and shook my head.

"I can do it myself," I grimaced, moving the slightest amount.

"Don't be stubborn, let me help you." Christopher rolled his eyes and reached out again, but I glared at his hands.

"Touch me and I'll break those hands right off," I snapped, watching as he lifted them in surrender. "I can move on my own."

"Alright, alright, whatever," Christopher mumbled, shaking his head at me as he grabbed the glass from my bedside table and handed it to me. "You're so stubborn."

"That's me," I said huskily, reaching out to grab the cup of water only to realise all fingers apart from my thumb were set in a cast.

Christopher raised an eyebrow at me and smirked, but I refused to let him win, and lifted my other hand, which only had three fingers wrapped in casts. I gulped the water down before glancing at him.

"How long have I been out?"

"About a day," he said softly, not catching my eyes.

"I'm guessing Mira strapped me up?" I questioned, eyeing the slightly dodgy way my casts were set. Christopher cringed and nodded.

"Yeah, she did. DeMarlo wouldn't let her call the doctor," he muttered bitterly, shaking his head. "At least she knew what she was doing."

"She's done it a few times before," I said with a sigh, moving slightly and flicking the blankets back.

"Where are you going?" Christopher jumped up and widened his eyes, holding his hands out to stop me from getting up.

"To the bathroom."

"Oh."

Christopher watched me carefully as I edged my way from the bed, trying not to wince at the screaming pain spreading across my body. My eyes caught a large bouquet of flowers on my other bedside table and I paused, eyeing them carefully before looking at Christopher quizzically.

"Oh... they're from Steve." He didn't look too impressed with them and, honestly, neither was I.

"What for?"

"Apparently he heard you'd been... hurt somehow." Christopher shrugged and I narrowed my eyes at the extravagant array of flowers.

"Throw them out."

I slid out of the bed and groaned at the pain of my heels hitting the carpet but glared at Christopher as he came to help.

"Why won't you let me help you?" He snapped angrily, running a hand through his hair