Chapter Sixteen

"What are you doing?" Dad asked, stepping into the dining room with a gaudy satin dressing gown wrapped around him. James was following closely behind him, papers in his hand ready to report on the latest security news, and I sent him a big grin. James smiled at me, but quickly returned his face to a blank expression when Dad side-eyed him.

"I'm having breakfast," I replied, scooping some porridge into my mouth. Dad looked unimpressed and sat at the head of the table, ignoring the maid as she quickly placed a plate of food in front of him. 

"I can see that," he replied, gesturing for James to sit at the seat on his right. "I was really asking why you are here alone. Where's Christopher?" 

I was alone because Dad didn't like Noah and Poppy, so they could never stay for breakfast. At least he tolerated them coming over, so I couldn't complain too much. I had shuffled them out quietly beforehand and they left happily, not really wanting to run into DeMarlo once he woke up. I hadn't even thought about inviting Christopher down for breakfast.

"Most likely still in his room."

"Go and get him, please," he said to the maid who had served his food. She curtsied lowly and scurried off. I took another bite of my porridge before Dad directed his attention back at me, pointing his hand at the seat to his left.

I guess my leisurely morning breakfasts were coming to an end, along with every other small pleasure I had in my life. I made my way to the seat and settled in swiftly, nodding in thanks to Heather who placed my bowl of half-eaten porridge in front of me.

"Report please, James," DeMarlo said, sending me a quick glance which told me to pay attention. Of course, I was going to pay attention whether he sent that look or not. It was my job now. 

"Last night there were twenty-two incidents in the region, nineteen of which were by affected advanced humans. The remaining three were by unaffected advanced humans. ARC made seventeen arrests, including the three unaffected, which leaves seven affected advanced humans unaccounted for," he stated, his eyes darting left and right across the page.

"The tunnels?" I inquired, leaning back in my chair.

The door opened, and the maid hurried in with Christopher following closely behind, still wearing the clothes he had worn yesterday. He stood in the doorway hesitantly and looked around the room awkwardly. 

"Christopher, thank you for joining us. Please, sit next to Michaelson, here." Dad gestured to the seat next to me. Christopher made his way over and muttered a quiet good morning as he settled into the chair. I nodded my head at him and gestured for Heather, who ran over quickly.

"Yes, sir?" She asked quietly.

"Bring me a tea, please, and whatever he wants," I said gesturing to Christopher. She turned to Christopher expectantly, but he simply looked at me with wide, confused eyes. "What would you like for breakfast?" I asked him impatiently, gesturing to the bowl of half-eaten porridge in front of me.

"Oh, uh, cereal?" He asked lamely, causing me to laugh slightly. I wonder if he liked cereal that much or if it was simply all he knew to ask for. Heather nodded her head and shuffled off quickly as Mira stepped into the room.

"Good morning, everyone!" She sang happily, stopping next to Dad to plant a soft kiss on his cheek and making her way to me to do the same. 

"Morning, Mira," I said happily, glad that our little fight from yesterday was completely gone.

"Christopher, did you sleep well?" She said, slipping into a seat next to him. I knew she sat next to him simply to keep him entertained whilst we talked business, but I was happy she did so. Christopher nodded his head and Mira began talking excitedly to him, about nothing important, as she asked for her usual breakfast smoothie.