Chapter Nineteen

"Are you sure this is safe to eat?" I asked Christopher warily, using my chopsticks to inspect the meat.

It looked nice, and smelt amazing, but I couldn't help but worry about the germs infecting the kitchen. Even the waiter hadn't looked that clean, with darkened looking hands and grime under his fingernails. Christopher rolled his eyes at me and happily scooped some more onto his plate, eyeing the rice and veggie mix hungrily.

"Of course, it's safe to eat," he laughed. "Just try it. I bet it's better than the expensive food you eat."

I raised an eyebrow at him in disbelief, but gingerly took a bite anyway. The sauce coated my tongue and I looked at him with wide eyes, nodding my head appreciatively. He grinned at me and ate some of his own rice and stir-fry. I smiled back unconsciously, being pulled quickly into his relaxed and happy pace. It was oddly comforting to see Christopher loosening up into something more resembling of a human than a timid, hungry rat.

"Told you," he laughed.

"Well, it is better than I expected," I admitted, taking another bite happily.

Christopher nodded but didn't speak as he shovelled his mouth with the beef stir fry quickly, shoving prawn crackers in between each mouthful. I ate more delicately and refined than him, but I also hadn't been starving my entire life. As we ate in silence I eyed the surroundings, my senses tingling at the stares we were receiving.

The table we were sitting at rocked as Christopher leant on the table, the uneven legs causing it to move up and down as we ate. It was a small red table, sticky with who-knows-what, shoved in the corner of the open alfresco. We were under cover and safe from the warm sun, but we could clearly see the motorbikes and cyclists riding past on the busy street. I hadn't ever been to this section of the city – it was far below me – but it was oddly nice, although a bit crowded.

"Mr DeMarlo, please take this as a sign of our appreciation," an elderly man said, bowing lowly as he placed a fresh plate of food down in front of us, much to Christopher's delight. "We are grateful you have chosen our establishment."

I eyed the older man, his hair short and buzz cut but his beard, long and white, reached low. A small mark on the back of his neck stuck out as he bowed lowly before he rose and smiled at me, flashing his missing teeth. He had the implant.

"Please, thank this one here. He is the one who dragged me here," I said with a smile, gesturing my hand at Christopher who was still gobbling food.

"Sir, thank you," he said, turning to inspect Christopher. He paused, eyeing him. "Christopher?"

I raised an eyebrow at the old man who eyed Christopher with his eyes wide. Christopher stopped eating and looked up at the man with curious eyes, looking unsure. A guy similar to my age stopped in the kitchen doorway and listened in intently. He looked innocent enough, but the dark look in his eyes as he glared at me said otherwise.

"Is that you, Christopher?" The old man asked, taking a tentative step closer.

"Sorry," Christopher coughed awkwardly, placing his plate back on the table and swallowing the food in his mouth. "Do you know me?"

"It's me – Li Jing," he said with a sad smile, shaking his head. "Where did you go? We looked everywhere for you."

Christopher sent me an odd look, his eyes reflecting confusion and uncertainty, before he cocked his head to the side and looked back at Li Jing.

"I'm sorry, I don't remember you..." he muttered lowly.

"O-oh? Well, it has been a few years," Li Jing laughed awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck. "Li Wei, look who it is! Christopher!" He said, turning to wave an arm at the man standing in the kitchen doorway, gesturing for him to come over.