Chapter 18

*From Rowan's perspective*

     Water started to soak into my shoes. The tiny current flowed over my fingers as I ran them along the river bed. Something shiny had caught my eye and when I looked closer I found that the whole area was covered in beautiful rocks. I was looking for something specific though. Finally, I found it. I held it up to the sun to make sure I was right. There was a hole that ran right down the middle. I was going to give it to Brisa to put on her bracelet. The shiny gray would go well with the other abstract and decorated colors of her charms. I slipped my new found treasure into the pocket of my pants.

It had been a few minutes since I left to go to the bathroom and I didn't want Brisa to worry so I started walking back. That's when a death-rattling screech shook through the trees.

No, what if it is Brisa?

Another scream, then another. I bolted into a run.

I shouldn't have left her alone. She was already feeling weak. I left her vulnerable. I am an idiot. They could have overpowered her easily. Two against one, that wasn't fair. I knew I couldn't trust them, and now it might be my fault she's dead.

I was close to the place where we had picked the berries when I saw her. Misty, she stood with a panicked expression and pure fear in her eyes.

"Where is she?!" I yelled. A flash of guilt crossed her face before it changed to something like anger.

"Where is she?!" I yelled again. She opened her mouth to say something but before she could a cannon sounded.

A death, a tribute, Brisa.

"Dart!" She screamed and scrambled into a sprint. I followed quickly behind her hoping and praying that Brisa wasn't the one that died. She couldn't be gone. Misty thought the cannon was for Dart and deep inside I hoped she was right.

She ran down the mountain and everything clicked in my mind. He fell off the ledge. From the time of the screams then to the cannon it was too fast, he had to have fallen into the waters. Maybe it is just him that is hurt and Brisa is fine. I tried to reassure myself, but the more I thought I realized that if Brisa was okay she would be here.

No, no, please.

Misty suddenly stopped and turned her head. Her face was a reaction of pure horror. I looked.

A body laid lifeless. A huge rock had punctured through him. Blood covered the stone.

My mouth dropped. That was Dart. The body that was alive and active only minutes ago now laid still and gone. Death was still a mystery to me. It was like it stole away their souls. Or did it gently take them from the pain?

I scanned the area for any sign of Brisa. I didn't see her on the rocks or in the water. I didn't know if that was a good or bad sign.

I called out her name.

Misty charged towards me before I had time to react. She grabbed ahold of my jacket pulled it aggressively. The way she screamed almost made me pity her.

"She is fine you idiot! Look!" She pointed at the side of the huge cliff. At first, I couldn't see what she was talking about but then I finally did. Brisa hung limply in a tangle of vines. Was she breathing? She had to be since only one cannon went off.

"But Dart, He's gone! He's gone! And you are worried about her?!" The louder she yelled the more tears streamed from her face.

"I lost him because your stupid girlfriend tripped and started to fall off, and Dart, Dart, he is saved her!"