Chapter 3

*From Rowan's Perspective*

     The inside of the car was hot and sticky. I didn't know the drive to the train station would take so long. I wanted out as soon as possible because I was not enjoying being so close to the girl tribute, Brisa. She didn't smell or anything but seeing her all teary made me uncomfortable. Seeing people cry was something I wasn't used to.

Her eyes were red and puffy. She stared out the window as she anxiously dug her nails into her fingers. I could imagine that she had been crying for a while. I wondered how many people she said goodbye too, because I waited in my room for a long time for her to finish.

I almost felt bad for her. It seemed like she had a loving family. I could recall the exact sound of them crying from outside my door. That boy even tried to volunteer for her, though it didn't work, he was willing to die for her. There had to be something special about her.

I tried to see if it was something physically. She had long golden brown hair that curled along her back. Compared to me, her frame was tiny. Her face had a soft shape and her eyes were fanned by thick long lashes that matched her eyebrows. Though there was nothing extraordinary about her looks, I couldn't help but notice how engaging she was. It was different from Capitol "beauty", It was natural and pure. It was something she didn't have to work for, but just radiated. I bet she didn't even know.

Why did she have to look innocent? It made my job harder. I remembered the conversation I had with an official right before I left.

"She and her family have committed many sins against the Capitol. She has been purposely reaped to teach her and her family a lesson. Your job is to make sure she dies in the games, and to make sure it's entertaining." They had told me. She didn't seem like a wanted criminal.

It didn't matter anyway. She was probably dating that guy, and besides, I had a job to do and couldn't let her distract me.

She caught me looking at her and turned. I looked away quickly looking out my window. I could feel her gaze and it made me uncomfortable. To my luck, Vivica couldn't handle the silence any longer and started bubbling with excitement.

"You two are just so lucky. What an honor," She breathed. "You get to be in the opening ceremonies in just a few nights and I'm sure your stylists have picked out wonderful outfits for you to wear!" Her eyes sparkled with enjoyment like she wished she could be us. I almost laughed at the image of Vivica in an arena. "And in less than a week you will be in an interview with Caesar Flickerman! Isn't that exciting!"

Brisa hesitated before responding. "Thank you for your help, Vivica." Her voice was weak and strained as if talking to her was a chore.

I could feel the cameras on my face before the car pulled up to the train station. My hands became slick and my body cold. I tried not to think about all the people that would be watching and concentrated on getting to the train. It wasn't that far, I could make it. Each moment on film made keeping my stern mask difficult. Was this going to happen every day?

It felt like an eternity until we reached our destination.

"It's time to meet your mentors!" Vivica sang. After watching her prance about the room hugging everyone, I got to escape from the cameras.

I would have thought the three pairs of eyes would be trained on me. I could feel Brisa stiffen beside me.

"You know, I believe that was the stupidest thing I've ever seen anyone do." The male victor's gaze was trained on her face and Brisa swallowed anxiously. "Well, aren't you going to thank me for saving your butt? You could've been killed right there, or your boyfriend too." He shook his head in disapproval. So she was dating that boy. . .