Chapter 9

*From Brisa's perspective*

The coldness that had inclosed me had vanished and warmth had taken its place. Peace was something that didn't come to me often after my reaping but at that moment every sliver of fear had disappeared. It only lasted for mere minutes. As the light from the windows came crashing in on my face I desperately tried to grab the shred of peace that was still remaining. But I soon found out there was none left. Fear had taken its place. I squeezed my eyes tight. The morning was coming. At exactly 10:00 a.m. I would be in the arena. The whole night consisted of falling asleep and 10 minutes later waking up panicked. I felt bad because I knew I kept Rowan up. I tried to get him to go, but he wouldn't leave me. I was glad that he stayed because he comforted me, and he made me feel safe, but it wouldn't last for long. I wouldn't have him forever. We wouldn't see each other again until the beginning of the games, and even at that point, we weren't promised survival. I felt the coldness coming back. It snuck into me before I could stop it. The overwhelming fear and panic that the cold inflicted, haunted me. The fear that filled me was indescribable.

Muffled voices were talking from behind me. If was hard making them out but I got bits and pieces of the conversation as I was slowly ripped from rest.

"Why are they sleeping in here?"

"Do you think they are okay?"

"Someone needs to wake these kids up..they will have to leave in an hour.."

I felt pressure on my shoulder. Someone was trying to wake me up. I refused and closed my eyes tighter trying to ignore them. I didn't want to face the world, the games, the tributes, the deaths. I pushed them away forcing myself to stay in the pit of sleep.

That's when a cool, wet sensation ran across my head and down my shoulders. A chill ran up my spine, sending waves of panic across my body. I finally gave in and opened my eyes. I was soaking wet. Rowan was beside me with the same confused expression. We both had our hands out in front of us, and our sleeves were dripping down on the floor. My mouth was wide open in shock and confusion. I flipped around to see who had caused this. I found Damon holding an empty bucket with a blank facial expression.

"Sorry sugar cube you wouldn't wake up....but seriously a couch...can you not sleep in a bed?"

I rubbed my head that had begun to throb.

"Well at least we know you won't have trouble sleeping in the arena.."

If only Aideen was right. There was no way I could sleep while surrounded by people trying to kill me. I could barely sleep in a normal place much less in the games.

Damon walked into the other room.

Vivica was shaking her head in disapproval.

"You two look horrible..."

"Maybe we wouldn't look so bad if Damon hadn't showered us in water.."

Rowan said with a tone of annoyance and humor.

"I don't think our looks will matter when we are fighting for life or death..."

I replied more flatly than I intended, but it did make Vivica keep quiet. Usually it wasn't too hard to keep my composure when she said things like that, but today I couldn't.

Damon walked back into the room and threw a towel at Rowan and laid one over my head. I pulled it off and started drying myself.

"Anyway! We have presents for you two!"

Vivica said in an enthusiastic voice. Me and Rowan looked at each other confused, but then curiosity won over and we followed her. There was five tiny boxes on a table, in the room she had taken us to. They were all sitting in a straight line.