Chapter 14.

Blue-black eyes search frantically around till they notice me. Relief washes over his features. He's a wolf, yet I can read him like a book right now.

The wolf takes a step forward, only for Ronan to block my way,  blocking his view. The low warning growl rumbles from the wolf, his eyes narrowing. He doesn't like this one bit. Ronan is taunting him and I don't think it's wise.

It had been a long time since he's been close to his mate, anything prolonging his desire, will meet dire consequences.

Ronan knows how powerful this alpha male is, yet he's doing this.

" You're stepping on threaded rope here, alpha." Beta Travis says, warning laced in his tone.

" I'd rephrase that statement beta. Enough harm has been caused, what guarantees do we have, that it won't be done again?"

" He's her mate."

Ronan scoffs at that. " That should have been enough reason a long time ago, yet here we are."

I'm surprised by Ronan's attitude. He's actually defending me and I'd know the answer to this, if I didn't have a lot weighing on me.

Shame flashes through the wolf's eyes, before they go back to being cold towards Ronan. Even in wolf form, he still dislikes my brother.

Well I can't exactly blame him.

" I assure you, we've come in peace."

" A matter of mates, who are we to stand in between?" My grandmother speaks up for the first time.

Ronan can't say anymore because he knows, once grandmother has spoken, all will be silent.

Ronan sighs before turning around to face me. His eyes search my own and for the first time, in a long time, there's a flash of concern in his eyes.

' I'll be okay.' My eyes tell him.

Words wouldn't be enough to convince him. Like he'd said once, something about my eyes speaks to him.

" I've got freshly baked muffins inside, join me." My grandmother speaks up again, leading the way.

Everyone else follows, by everyone, I mean Travis, Cara, our Beta, Jackson, and gamma Calvin.

I quickly grab onto Ronan's wrist, thanking him with my eyes. He has not caused trouble nor kept me away from my mate, for too long.

He nods, walking away.

Once we are left alone, I turn to the wolf, whose been watching me the whole time.

He's been patient.

I can't sense Mica, but his wolf. I don't even know his name. I'll need to know his name.

The urge to run up to me is strong yet he controls himself, the memory of our last time in each others presence, is as clear as day in our minds. He's cautious, cautious of my every move, he's not sure of himself now, but I'm pretty certain that earlier, his intentions were to be where I am.

Good thing we are in the garden, my favourite place, my safe haven.

With my own cautious steps, I start towards my original place, right under the tree. I can feel his eyes on me the whole time, but I pretend to be oblivious. The fact that I'm not giving him any attention irks something in him, that he starts towards my kneeling frame.

I could be flinching away from him right now, doing all I can to be away from him, but I'm rooted in place, watching with the corner of my eye as he advances towards me.

His every move is done with a silent plea, that I don't change my mind, that I still allow him room to be near me. His hot breath warms the side of my face, fanning my hair back, and exposing my neck to him.

My eyes trail up to his own and that's when it happens, the memories from that night become vivid in mind, reminding me of each kick, each punch, being thrown around like a rag doll, and his nails, digging into my skin. More over, him, almost ripping out my heart.

The pain. The agony.

A whimper knocks me back to the present and I blink to attention, gasping, when the strong and mighty alpha wolf takes a step back from me, lowering his head in submission.

He's submitting to me.

I lean forward, reaching out my hand, to rest my palm flat on top of his head. He whimpers when I start to retract my hand, pushing his head further into my hand, and not wanting me to stop one bit.

Sitting flat on the blanket, with my legs tucked underneath me, I retract my hand to earn his attention.

' Keep me company.' I invite him with my eyes, patting the spot beside me.

His head tilts to the side, observing me for a minute, trying to figure me out. I too follow suit, arching my brow in a teasing manner.

" I could leave you be." I speak up for the first time to him, already starting to get up when I'm nudged back, and I land on my back.

I huff, balancing with my elbows and staring up at him.

He sends me a wolfish grin in which I roll my eyes at, trying to suppress my own.

Look who decided to be teasing.

Sitting up right, I pretend to try and get up, just to get a reaction from him, and indeed I do, when in the fastest I've seen a wolf move, he lowers himself to lay on his stomach, his head resting close to my legs. If he had it his way, he'd lay his head onto my lap, but we both know that it's too soon.

My hand moves on its own accord, reaching out to touch him. I swear that a purr and a shudder he releases, at the feeling of my fingers in his fur. His eyes automatically close, as he leans further into my touch.

I don't know for how long we stay like that, because as I continue on combing my fingers through his fur, his evened out breath, tells me that he's fallen into a slumber.

He's tired, his exhaustion is weighing heavy on me.

" I don't know what to call you." I murmur, looking him over.

"Ryker." A voice says from behind me.

I glance over my shoulder.

Travis.

                            ********

" He's not been the same ever since you've been gone." Travis tells me, as we distance ourselves from a sleeping Ryker.

We don't move too far, but make sure to remain close, just in case he wakes up and finds me not next to him.

" What do you mean?" I turn to Travis.

" We have not seen his human side for a week now. " I frown at this. " He hasn't changed, he's just disappeared into his wolf form."

A low growl diverts our attention, that we glance at him.

I watch him stir a bit before his body goes rigid in alertness. He's become aware of his missing mate.

He quickly stands to attention just when his eyes find me. In quick movement he's right between Travis and I, making sure to push Travis out of the way.

As if that's not enough, he rubs himself against me, rubbing off his scent onto me. He huffs right after, head tilted up in pride.

A chuckle knocks me out of my gaping, I look up at a smirking Travis, who crosses his arms while his eyes dance in amusement.

" Someone's staking their claim," he says.

My lips twitch into a soft smile at that.