Chapter 9.

He's denied me, denied the mate bond.

He had no regret when he said it, I could see it in his eyes, there was no hesitation in his tone. I'd believed that there was some sort of progress, that he'd opened his eyes to what could be.

I guess I was wrong.

I must admit that I got blinded by the feeling of the bond, him spending the night in the same room as mine. I thought my stay here for these three days, would have made a change, made a small difference between us, but no, it earned me a denial from my mate.

Not only did my heart sink at his words, but it broke at the cold look he gave me. No words came from me, because I couldn't form the first word to utter.

I still can't, as I sit in the room.

I couldn't face anyone right after lady Athena left, my pain would have reflected in my eyes, and everyone would know that something was wrong. No, I couldn't let anyone know, for this was between my mate and I .

Even though he basically rejected me in front of his grandmother, and everyone in earshot, the bond for me has made it hard, to feel differently about him. The denial has drawn me back to the beginning, I might not know where to start, how to approach him on anything, and if whether I'll still feel like trying, after I get over my disappointment.

My stay here is coming to an end, I won't have a reason to stay after tomorrow, I'll have to leave him be. That's what he wants, for me to leave, like I hadn't discovered what I've been blessed with, a mate.

He has made his point, that I make no difference to him.

A knock on the door breaks through my thoughts, and I go on to answer it.

I immediately stop in my tracks when his scent hits my nose.

He's here.

I stop short from the door, my hand mid air.

I bite at my bottom lip as he continues to knock. I can't let him in. To even look at him, would unbreak all these emotions I'm compressing. It'll only take one look, to finish me, and right now, I'm not in the right state of mind.

He might get angry or lose his temper, resulting to him breaking down the door. Well, I'd rather take that chance, because I've learnt on how to deal with angry people.

I wait it out, praying that he leaves.

Minutes pass with silence, neither one of us moving.

I don't know for how long we stand like this, because when he leaves, his footsteps trailing off on the other side, my shoulders slump in relief. I close the remaining distance, both my head and palm rests against the door as I close my eyes, hurt, burning in my chest.

I'd been able to face anything that was thrown my way, but now, it's different. I've been put through the hardest journey yet, an emotional rollercoaster. He doesn't know that he's both my weakness and strength, with a mere word, he can break me, and with just a touch, he can undo me.

He has so much power over me, and he is toying with every aspect of emotion. It's like he knows, that I'm at a brink of losing sight of my senses in his presence. The hardest task had been thrown at me, and I'd withstood my ground, but not now.

For, I can't face my own mate, my other half.

                            *******

" The alpha has announced that everyone, should be down for supper this evening." A lady says, the minute I open the door.

" Thank you." I nod.

I watch her leave and when I'm about to close the door, a hand shoots out and prevents me from doing so.

"He's your mate, isn't he?" Evan asks.

I don't meet his eyes, turning away from him. I neither confirm nor deny, but rather keep silent.

"He is, but why then......."  He stops mid sentence, having entered the room and now closing the door behind him.

"What time is supper? " I ask, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

" 7 pm."

I nod and a moment of silence takes over. I look out at the window, staring at the beautiful sundown.

" Do you long for a mate, gamma?" I ask, not even looking at him.

"More than anything." He answers. " Please, call me Evan."

I turn to face him.

"You hold truth to your answer, I have no doubt you'll do all you can, to make her happy."

" I would give her all the love I have, my heart, my everything, because she would be my other half." The intention and truth is evident in his eyes, bringing a small smile on my face.

He will be a good mate.

His own slips off his face, turning serious. " He has not announced you to the world, or claimed, or marked you. I don't understand why he's not doing anything. I would have thought - no,  he's just hurting you both."

I take a minute to look at him, observing him. I try to get a feel of him, just to try understand him a bit, using my senses.

" You're dedicated and loyal to your alpha, but you're a friend first, a brother. I know you want what's best for him, for him to be happy."

"He's like a brother to me and I can't just sit by, and watch him deny himself of happiness." He says.

" Me too. " Travis says, barging into the room.

" Has anyone ever told you to knock?" I arch my brow at him.

"Sorry." Travis sheepishly says, rubbing at his neck.

"And eavesdropping." Evan adds, giving him a knowing look, but Travis rolls his eyes at that.

" He's your alpha, so don't speak behind his back."

"He's also our friend." Both males argue.

" We can't just keep silent when we know right." Travis says.

" Then let him be, let him figure things out on his own." I say.

" Even if what he's doing is making the biggest mistake of his life?"

"Even then."

Both men give me disapproving looks.

" I will never force myself on anyone, I'm not that kind of person."