Chapter 39: Well...

Blaine and I went to college later that day. Thankfully, they were off last week for Spring Break, so I didn't miss out on anything in our Psychology class. Our professor gave us a reminder that our projects are due this weekend by email and have to be presented next week. He gave us the class time to work on finalizing our projects. I looked at Blaine, and she held out the Nerd Project.

"Do you want to read this now?" She asked me. I almost snatched it out of her hands, but she stopped me. "Or later after you get your glasses back?"

"But, I'll still have to wait about a week or two for them to be ready." I informed her as I reached for the guide, and my fingers went over the title. The Nerd Project, it said. I paused.

"You can read it later if you want, and we can talk about other things now." She suggested. I looked at her curiously.

"Like what?" I inquired, and she's the one who paused now.

"Charlie said Kevin is taking her on another date this weekend, and she has no clue what he's planning." She said putting her elbows on her desk, facing me. I bit my lip.

"Kevin..um, well.." I said not knowing what to say. "I'm sure it'll be somewhere creative." I finished, looking down at the Nerd Project. I felt Blaine's gaze on me.

"How about you get to your eye doctor's appointment, take the guide with you, and when I see you next, you let me know what you think." She told me. I nodded. We were free to leave because we just needed to meet with our partners. So, we started to pack up our things. I couldn't help but feel anxious. Excited to finally read the guide, but worried about having to get new glasses. The beauty of anxiety.

I really wished I changed the date of my eye doctor appointment because I wanted to read the Nerd Project then and there. But instead, my mom dropped Blaine and me off to change. Blaine gave me a hug for good luck as we dropped her off. I didn't want anyone with me while I went to my appointment, but I was still a minor so my mom had to stick around. 

I left the Nerd Project at home, and my mom took me to my appointment. My hands kept grabbing each other, which I stopped every time I noticed them. They called my name sooner than I thought, so I went in with my mom following behind. My heart beat was increasing with each step, but I told myself to relax and took a deep breath. Come on Alan, this needs to be done. We went into an empty room, and a minute or two later, Dr. Carter showed up. Dr. Carter was in his early 40s. He had short black hair that looked similar to when I last saw him a couple years ago. He had a smile on his face and a clip-board in hand.

"Hello Alan," He said. I smiled weakly back at him. He shook my mom's hand and greeted her while I looked around the room.

The appointment went on, while I answered what looked more clear. He asked me questions about school and Blaine, and I answered them as best as I can, hoping my voice didn't come out shaky. I told him that I would be interested in buying both glasses and contacts. I felt myself relaxing as I realized it was ending soon. Afterwards, he let me see the glasses available and gave me information about the best contacts. I listened, asking questions when I needed to. As I picked out glasses, I looked at the mirror and saw which ones looked the best with different silly faces. When I saw my mom catch me, my laughter stopped. I looked seriously into the mirror, and I blinked in the mirror. All I could think when I saw my reflection is that if I get these glasses, I would desperately need a repeat of the Nerd Project.

I looked around some more, and I found a great pair that was comfortable and didn't look too bad on me. I took a picture to show Blaine them, and I told my mom and the sales lady. We did some measurements for the glasses and I was on my way. I was to pick them up in a week or two, whenever they called us.