Chapter 3: Lunchtime Isn't Only For Eating

Dedicated to @iSeeYourSoul (my little sis) <3

Thanks for the comments and votes, enjoy :D

- - - -

The next day, I was dreading lunchtime. Every time a guy wanted to ask Blaine out, he would come to me first and 'make' me convince her to say yes. But after that, I would always just be hoping she said no because it is her choice at the end. Even though they would come after me, it's a beating I'd gladly take. Besides, I get beaten on a daily basis; it's as common as the sun coming up every morning.

I entered my Algebra II class and took my usual seat. Even though I wear glasses, I believe it's best to sit in the front. You could hear the teacher perfectly and no one could block the board. Blaine was sitting next to me humming while she did the bellwork. The bell rang a minute later, while some of the jocks were piling in. Last came A-hole.

Our school colors are black, white, and red. We, males, have to wear a white button up shirt with a red and black school logo on the upper right of it and black dress pants. And the females have their own pick: a white button up shirt with either a black skirt or black dress pants. The jocks, for some reason, are allowed to leave their buttoned-up shirt undone. The only catch is that they have to wear an undershirt. Only guys associated with the football team do it though.

"Mr. Madison, since you decided to be the last one here, how about you answer the bell work?"

Snickers were heard. I looked at the problem on the board.

Find x if 2x = 12 - x.

Obviously, it's x=4. You just have to add the x to the other side, which will add up to 3x. Then, you divide 12 by 3 and tada 4 is your answer. This was the easiest bell work yet. But, hey, this will be funny. This idiot deserves to be made fun of.

Blaine rolled her eyes at the situation. He sent me an intimidating look, as if he was forcing the answer out of me. I didn't know how to get out of it, so I started forcing myself to cough until the teacher excused me to get some water from the hallway. As soon as I got out of hearing range, I chuckled. I'm such a rebel sometimes.

I drank some water while I was at it and went back to class.

"No, Mr. Madison, the answer is not infinity."

The whole class erupted in laughter; I did as well, but converted it into coughs.

"Alan, can you please tell Mr. Madison the answer?"

I glimpsed at the board then back at Mr. Gavin.

"The answer is four, sir."

"Excellent, thank you Alan."

Yes, he calls me by my first name. He treats me like I'm his son. Although, his big belly wasn't one I could imagine myself in as I'm always made fun for being 'too skinny'.

"Thank you Mr. Gavin."

I went back to my seat as I heard "teacher's pet" a couple of times.

At least I know how to spell teacher's pet.

This class went by in a blur with my hand going up to answer questions. At the end of class, Mr. Gavin announced that he would pass back our mid-term and our overall grades tomorrow. It was the middle of the semester and the senior year is approaching. For once, my mind ignored Mr. Gavin's words as I realized my high school career is almost over. Blaine and I promised to go to the same college as we both are very smart and inseparable.  But, I didn't want to leave high school with one friend. But, maybe I'm overreacting; I didn't have to show these judgmental people a fake side of me. I could handle being a nerd, it's not like anyone will go too far...right?

When the bell rang, I was gathering my supplies. I opened my backpack to put them inside before someone knocked my backpack out of reach making me fall as well. All the papers in my folders flew off as I muttered under my breath. A fuming girl started to help me, which made me conclude that it was Blaine. Who else would help me? I looked up at the guys giving each other high-fives. Was I not a human in their eyes? That they would have to constantly go out of their way to show me otherwise? I stuffed all the papers in my bag, deciding I'll just arrange them later. I knew Blaine was mad, and sometimes I wonder why she still hung out with me. She was popular. They accepted her, and yet she would risk it being seen with me. We would have that conversation plenty of times, but I couldn't understand why she would. She didn't know how difficult it was to be a stupid old nerd.

"Blaine.. why?"

I kept my head down as I couldn't get myself to look at her.

"Why what? Why are they jerks?"

They is everyone. There couldn't be a problem with everyone.

"Why do you hang out with me?"

I looked up and saw pain in her eyes. You could see streaks of red, but maybe I wouldn't without my glasses?

"Why wouldn't I?"

Her brown hair was going back and forth as she shook her head to understand what I was getting at.

"It's nothing; let's get to lunch, 'kay?"

I forced a smile. The girl I'm in love with should be embarrassed to be seen with me..

"Yeah, sure."

She nodded, and we went off to lunch quietly.

She knew what I meant.

I opened the doors to the cafeteria for us both. Some of the cheerleaders were calling Blaine to sit with them, ignoring me. She shook her head at them as we went to grab our lunches. She got herself the usual: a slice of apple pie, a chicken salad, and a bottle of orange juice. And I grabbed a brownie, which contradicted the banana I also took, and some apple juice. I wasn't really hungry, but I didn't want Blaine to raise questions. She must've noticed I didn't get my normal lunch because she raised an eyebrow but thankfully didn't say anything.

We paid for our lunches and noticed our regular table was taken by the populars. So, she directed us to their table, which was empty. That was until Blaine sat down. They all came, as usual. They keep on trying to get Blaine to ditch me already by showing up everywhere with their 'popularity aura'. We sat next to each other, so we just sighed under our breaths and began eating our lunches. That was until Jesse Madison came too and addressed her.

"Blaine." She looked up at him from her lunch. And no, his shirt was not buttoned, making his glorified undershirt show. My fork entered my brownie. Hopefully, chocolate really does have a chemical to make a person happy. I needed all the happiness I could get as I sighed once again and kept my eyes on the brownie. "We should hang out this Friday night."

"Friday night? I can't!" She stated, taking in a bite of her chicken salad.

I felt his eyes pour onto me.

Did I look up? NO!!

"Why not?" I didn't have to look up to see anger flash his eyes.

"Well.. You can't respect my best friend. And, that says enough." She said firmly. "I'm hanging out with Alan though, you're welcome to join us." She said with a shrug. I kept my head down, trying to keep in my smile.

I heard his friends laugh at his rejection. I wanted to laugh too.

"No thanks, let me know if you change your mind," He told her with a smile. She gave him a half smile. When he went to the other jocks, she turned to me and put her head on my shoulder lazily.

"We still on for Friday, doing absolutely nothing?" She asked me. I smiled, getting flustered of how close she actually was to me.

"T-that sounds good to me."