Chapter 20: Did That Count?

The rest of the day was going well. The jocks would greet me with a nod or a man-hug. If I ever pass by someone getting bullied, I make sure to step in. I am on good terms with the popular crew, so they would just roll their eyes at me and leave the person alone. It did annoy me a little considering nobody really stepped for me, but then I told myself to get over it. I did have people that stood for me including Jasper. I can't believe the guy's in town. But Blaine did say something about him teasing her, I wonder what that's about..

During lunch, Jesse would slap my back a couple of times while I'm eating. I stopped eating and was super thankful that I finished all my breakfast before I left the house. I would ask for Kevin's help, but he was talking to some of the other guys. Blaine would catch my eye and laugh at my misery while she was in her own conversation with the cheerleaders. I then started a conversation with Jesse.

"Hey Jess." He turns to look at me. He probably thought I would have just ignored him the whole time.

"Yeah, what's up?" He asks with a grin and I stop myself from giving a sarcastic response.

"Could I eat my food in peace please?" I say pointing at my tray.

"Sure." He answers and I'm pretty sure I looked surprised. I hurried to finish my food before he changes my mind. While I'm swallowing my drink, he says, "Don't want you to have another thing to complain about at the gym." I shrugged and ate some more.

"Nah I have dual enrollment today." I say with a smile. He rolls his eyes at me.

"Of course you do."

~~

"Hey Alan! Come on, Kevin said he'll give us a ride to college." Blaine says as she grabs my arm while I'm putting my stuff in my locker. I nod at her and close my locker when I'm done and she pulls me to the exit.

"I'm coming Blaine." I said as if it made a difference.

Kevin took us along with Jesse considering the gym was close by, Blaine and I said our thanks. Afterwards, we got ready to present for class. The professor wanted us to update the class on our progress with the project. When it was our turn, Blaine and I walked quietly to the front of the classroom.

"Do you have your glasses?" Blaine asks me in a whisper. I nodded. "Hello everyone, my name is Blaine Evans." She waved to the class. I was a little more shy having everyone's attention on me.

"My name is Alan Gray." I say to the class as I keep one of my hands in my pocket holding on my glasses.

"Our project is called My Nerd Project. I have this guide that we think will help make Alan more popular. So far, he's dyed his hair, traded his glasses for contacts, has been routinely going to the gym, and gets himself in social activities." She nods at me and I read out loud the words I have written in the paper that I have already memorized. I go on explaining how the guide has a lot of pros to it. Blaine mentions that we still have a few more lessons to go and we get asked a few questions.

"How are the contacts going?" One of the students ask in a joking manner and a few people laugh including Blaine and me.

"They're okay," I shrug.

"What do you two hope to get out of this project?" The professor asks. I look at Blaine.

"We want to see if popularity is worth changing your image." Blaine answers while looking at the class.

"I just want to survive high school," I say with a chuckle, trying to end on a good note. People laugh at this and even our professor looks happy.

"Okay great progress so far, please put your notes on my desk and take your seats; Thank you." The class starts to clap for Blaine and me while we thank him and do as he says.