The Bishop

Chapter 3: The Bishop

The first thing I noticed was the girl lying on her bed, unconscious, not stirring as we entered. She curled in on herself, around a pillow.

The second thing I noticed was the dread.

I felt it in my scars, but they would not open, even if there were one hundred times the demons in this room, though I had not yet had cause to test that theory. Scanning the room I found no distorted shadows, and I could not locate the demon. It was here, but where? If it was just Dez and I, this could have been over in moments. Even without a sword, I could banish a single, formless demon. I was much stronger than when I had attempted to save the two men back in Castle Moore, and they had been broken down by a swarm of demons, saved seconds short of possession.

“We need to draw it out,” said Dez. “Go get the stuff. We can argue about who gets to knife it later.”

Drake and Fara obliged, leaving the room. I turned to follow them, but Dez grabbed my arm.

“You should go with them,” she told the mother. “In case they need some help finding anything.” As soon as the door was shut, she was all business. “Do your thing Ramie.”

“Are you sure?” I cast a wary look at the door.

“Yeah. Look at the poor girl, plus they aren't the type to question a miracle.”

Thankful that I would not have to watch the poor girl battle her demons, I walked to her side. She made a sound of pain, burying her face deeper into the pillow. The skin of her hand was warm, as I inclosed it in mine. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I offered her some of the light. I could feel hers, week and sputtering inside, but still alive. I could feel the demon too, and I squeezed the child's hand just a little too hard, as I crushed it. It was a kind of stress relief, erasing that piece of darkness from the universe permanently.

The girl shook, and I cupped her hand with both of mine. She released the pillow, curling towards me. Her eyes opened, tears clinging to her lashes. The door banged open. It was as if something in the mother had just known. Her eyes met her daughter's, and I moved out of the way. The two embraced. The girl look confused, but the mother was bawling. I turned to rejoin Dez by the door, but the woman grabbed my arm. Then she hugged me. I could feel her emotions, the relief, the joy, and it made me feel a little bit better.

“Thank you.” Her voice cracked a little.

“You're welcome, but...” It hurt to say it for some reason. “...but it wasn't really me. Your daughter is strong. She shook off the demon herself.”

“Really?” She turned back to look at her daughter, pride glinting in her eyes.

I was released, and a chill seemed to creep into the room. I liked these humans. I liked the way the mother looked at her daughter, with the love, with the family.

Feet on the stairs. “What happened?” Drake was panting.