CHAPTER 16

Chapter 16

The darkness of the night was only lit by the projector that was shining brightly on the screen. I spotted K.B. on the left side of the field in the eye shot of Gabe and Z who sat on the right side scoping out all the inmates that came in during the previews. The atmosphere was very intense and I could feel it when I walked through the gates to take my seat next to Gabe handing him and Z drinks and chips I'd brought for them. He always sat in the middle of me and Z, we were his force field just in case some shit popped off he wanted to feel "invincible."  He had seniority but he also did bad business with a lot of people, no one ever tried him but tonight all of that would change. He would finally see he wasn't as powerful to some people as he thought. I'd paid the inmate in charge of movie presentation $200 to show Boyz in tha Hood so Z  was sure to be occupied enough to be glued to his seat. Me on the other hand would be to busy doing "business" with someone across the yard so Gabe would for sure have to go piss alone. When that first scene came on I could see the awe in Z's face, they raerly played hood movies and when they did ever one was stuck. The liquid would surely run through Gabe considering I'd put 7 water pills in his soda now all we had to do was wait. Excitement shot through me just at the thought of shit falling into place played in my head. I could barely contain the anticipation and nervousness trying to keep my cool by smoking on a cigarette and chopping it up with someone across the yard. I learned to sign my first year in, that was the way you communicated with an inmate that was too far for you to talk to them. We had privileges but not freedom we could not roam around during certain activities when we felt like it and movie night was one of those activities. I signed to everybody but nobody in particular as I could feel Gabe squirming next to me like a first grade kid. Not even before Tray could slap lil dude over the head with the yard stick he was getting up to go piss. Not one time did K.B. break his stare of the screen though as Gabe did a slight scan of the rec. yard before he did a fast piss walk towards c dorm. Punk Pat' s job was to linger in the shadows surrounding the yard to watch and see which dorm Gabe would go in. As soon as I saw Gabe enter the building and Pat walk in a good amount of distance behind him I relaxed in my seat. Z was so deep in the movie I don't even think he realized he was still in prison. Five minutes passed, ten, then seventeen until a hand on my shoulder and a whisper in my ear got all of my attention. " You and Z come with me real quick Yak!" Gabe was breathing normally and  acting normally so I yanked Z up from his movie and we followed him to C dorm.